Pt6. Sentiment

The rumble of explosives echo into the night, a plume of smoke billowing into the cold night air. Viper stands at a distance, waiting to see you emerge from the scene like you always do. You found a way out, you had to. They squat down and stare behind their mask, their eyes waiting for any sign of movement.

But no movement was seen.

-----

Espio had secured the ship by the time the explosions go off, Ava and Jasper tied up on the deck. The three of them jump at the sudden eruption in the distance, looking at the smoke in inquiry. A few minutes pass before Espio leaves the ship to investigate, Ava's and Jasper's expression growing fearful as both you and Viper had yet to return. But you were crazy strong, crazy smart! There was no way that you didn't succeed...

That just made the ensuing hours more painful for them.

-----

Espio arrives at the scene while the fire is still blazing, looking around frantically for any signs of Tails or you. In the sand a few of your knives wash up, scrap computer parts rolling in not long after. Espio looks them over, hanging his head and closing his eyes with frustration. He told Sonic that nothing would happen-

Which only made the night harder to swallow when he went to retrieve Tails' plane from the water, it's owner nowhere to be found.

. . .

. . .

The sound of water dripping fades into your eardrums, the dark world becoming brighter as you open your eyes. It smelled like moss, and it was cold. What happened to you? The question lingers for a moment before you begin coughing up seawater violently. You clutch your chest as a few tears leak out of your eyes as you continue struggling. You look around as you try to make sense of where you even are-

And then you see him.

Tails laid face down against the mossy stone floor, his form limp and still. You gasp! Choking on the remains of water you struggle to run over to him, stumbling through the thin layer of water that lines the ground. It was coming back, all of it. He saved you back in the facility, if it wasn't for him you- you would've been blown into dust... You get down and start aggressively pumping his chest, checking his heart intermittently as you tried to revive him.

His heartbeat was so weak... But it was there. You could still save him..!

You push on his chest more, checking his heart again but it was getting weaker... You shake your head, pushing more.

"Come on fox, don't just give up after all that-" You pump more, panic beginning to creep into your usually cool demeanor. You peel his eyelids open and check his pupils, but there was no response. He was unconscious, the beating of his heart rapidly decreasing...
"I thought your idea of a hero was someone that was like Sonic, you don't see him dying from some stupid explosions do you-?" Your tone begins getting shaky as you speak, his life slipping away in your hands. You pump on his chest more as you begin breaking, watching someone else fade away in front of you as you tried everything you could.

But you weren't good enough.

Again.

You lean down, pressing your lips against his as you force air into his lungs. You can feel the doubts pile up, looking down at his empty face as you compress his chest again. "I'm sorry- I'm sorry alright? Just don't do this, I'm trying so hard to do something good so please just don't do this-"

You push more air into his lungs, tears welling up in your eyes. "I never wanted anyone to die because of me-" Memories of past failures flood into your head, the faces of those that stood beside you opposing Eggman. None of them came back, it was always only you that managed to survive... Every time...