Pt5. A Sinking Feeling

You plant another bomb as alarms begin blaring, the robots in the area immediately ceasing work and scanning the area for intruders. "Damn it, Viper!" You dash back where you came, already several levels deeper from the initial ladder. Moving back through the facility it got more crowded, several bots that had laid in wait being released and searching feverishly through the installation. You draw a knife from your glove, shimmying it down into your palm. Viper probably didn't get as far down as you had, they were still slower than you despite being the quickest among the others. Your eyes scan the wall, 'B-26? There are still at least five more levels that need to get planted...' You tisk your tongue, taking a deep breath and sprinting back to the access stairway. The robots are too slow to react to you as you ascend the winding stairs silently. The flights were long, each level coming with a slight variation in air pressure that made you dizzy breaking through the layers this quickly. You're able to reach level B-22 before you start to slow down, your usual speed grinding down as you struggle to maintain your heightened state. At this point the only chance you had of making it out alive would be beating Viper back out or finding an underwater exit sooner rather than later.

Trudging up the stairs the door on the level above flies open, several E-2000 robots hovering into view, leveling their laser cannons at you. You inhale sharply, trying to force yourself into Phase Speeds but to no avail as you released air immediately. They fire on you as you barely dodge the beams, running along the wall and jumping off stabbing down into one of them. It raises it's shield and blocks before parrying your strike back as the one behind it readies another blast. You curse under your breath, throwing your knife into it's cannon before it can fire. Energy builds up within it's arm as it detonates and takes the other two nearby with it in a brilliant blue flash of light. Two more begin peeking through the door as you dash by them further up the stairs. The spinning red lights of the alarms added onto the confusion of the doors opening in series as you ran up the flights of stairs while dodging shots and attacking the army of machines. You reach level B-16 as they begin descending the staircase, forcing you to run through the door, effectively trapping yourself below the surface.

Swatbots swarm around you as you put all of your energy into fending them off. Two grab at your head as you lean back into a handspring, throwing yourself onto a wall before you spider crawl along the pipes and bars attached to the ceiling. They start taking shots at you, the bits of hot metal pinging off the surface as steam and smoke began to fill the room.

If this kept up they were sure to bring the place down...

You tackle one of them, stealing it's gun before blasting it along with the other that had taken shots. You double fist the firearms, taking aim and blowing the machines away as they rushed through the doorway. The barrage was short lived as your guns begin to overheat, the projectiles they had been shooting actually causing the guns to break down. More robots cluster through the door, quickly pushing anything that wasn't bolted down out of their way as they sped through assembly lines and heavy equipment. The space is filled gradually as you continue to fend of the machines, each one you take down only causing more spacial congestion as you fight just to keep yourself from falling over the fallen mechs.

. . .

"come on... come onnnnnnnn-" Tails' fingers clack away as the system remains in lockdown. It seemed like with every failed attempt there were at least three robots that took notice. But it was too inconsistent to be sure... Metal footsteps could be heard behind again, Tails spinning around at the ready to see that they were actually running by him. His ears twitch slightly as he squints in the direction they were rushing into. Faint pops and scrapes could be heard, getting louder as the storm seemed to be encroaching. Tails leaves the console, retreating back to the ladder and inspecting the bomb to make sure they hadn't been activated. It seemed to remain dormant, the same as it had been when he arrived. The crack of a whip echoes behind him, followed by more metal clanging. He looks back to see Viper fending off a seemingly never ending army of robots as they had jumped into the air and lassoed one mech into a group of them. They disappear behind a wall of robots as they begin to get swarmed. Tails' eyes get wide as he rushes in, the sight of someone in danger causing him to react before forming any kind of plan.