13. Guess Who's Back

"I'm going." Clarke says angrily. She's talking about the drop ship. Her mother was on that ship. I think that she deserves to go. Just not right now. "In the morning, Clarke." I say calmly. I feel so bad for her. She's lost everyone now. Her mother, her father, Wells, it's like the world doesn't want Clarke Griffin to be happy. But she deserves happiness. Especially after all that she's done for us. She rolls her tear smeared eyes and turns to walk away. I see her grab a backpack and start to head out the walls. Bellamy runs after her. Raven follows him.

I decide to stay at the camp. I don't really want to talk to any one of them right now so I stay. I hear a clank and a crash. "Someone tripped the alarm." Jasper says. He sprints into the woods. A group of people follow him, including Octavia and I. I look towards a tree and see a small, thin figure balled up into the tree. The figure is male. I can tell by the body shape. He shivers and spits. Scarlet, hot blood spurts out of his mouth. His hair is damp. I can't tell if the wetness is from swear or blood. The man's clothes are torn and his fingers shake with every move he makes. He looks absolutely terrible. Octavia gets up close to him. I follow her. I realize that it's not a man at all. It's just a boy about my age. The boy's eyes are icy blue. There's only one person with that hard, cold, enraging stare. Someone I never thought I would see again. Someone who was supposed to die when he was banished. John Murphy.

We haul Murphy into the drop ship. He collapses on to the floor. He coughs and blood pours out of his mouth. I lands on the floor in drops. A boy, Connor, wipes up he blood droplets with a wash cloth. He coughs again and more blood comes out of his mouth. Connor rolls his eyes and sighs. Murphy's hands are bloody. As is most of his body. He stays curled up in a ball, as if scared that if he doesn't stay like this we would kill him. Bellamy might. I lean down next to him and look at him sadly, "Murphy, what the hell happened to you?" I say anxious. I wonder if I actually want to hear the answer or not. Or if I already know the answer. "Grounders," His voice is scratchy and dry. It cracks and breaks on every other word. He swallows, as if he hadn't spoken in a long time. Or if he had spoken too much, "They brought to their camp, tortured me." I hear someone come in and look to see Sterling crouched next to me. He puts a hand on my shoulder, "How do we know you're telling the truth?" Sterling says. Murphy struggles to hold up a hand. The skin is raw and where finger nails are supposed to be is little nubs covered in fresh and dry blood. I sigh, "What did you tell them about us?"
"Everything. Mostly about Clarke though." Sterling gets up and pounds his fist on the drop ship wall. I grab his hand and he exhales deeply. Then he sits back down. "How did you escape?"
"One day they forgot to lock my cage. I ran straight here. It was the only place I knew where to go." Murphy coughs again and blood pours right onto Connor's hand. He flicks his hand in disgust and scowls. Murphy looks at the ground, "I'm sorry, it just, it hurt so much." I reach our and touch his arm,"Murphy, it's ok." I hear someone come through the door. I see Clarke standing about a foot away from me. She looks from me to Murphy and then crouches beside me. She asks Murphy basically the same questions I just asked and them her eyes widen, "Biological Warfare. They're using him to spread a disease. I think it's spread by direct contact. Anyone who has touched Murphy stay in here. If you haven't touched him get out of the drop ship." my eyes widen. I had touched Murphy. Now I have this disease. I cough lightly. The cough leaves a metallic taste in my mouth. I put a finger to my lips and when I take it off sticky blood covers it. I exhale and wipe the blood away with my arm.

Just then I hear someone crash though the door. "Where is he." I hear Bellamy's voice say. He sounds angry. He walks toward Murphy, "Bellamy, don't." I say. He looks at me angerly, "Unless you want to get diseased I suggest you step away from him." He growls and looks down at the blood on my arm, "You didn't touch him did you?" He asks. I don't anwer, "Did you?!" He yells, alarmed I reply immediately, "Yes," He puts his head in his hands and sighs. I cough again, and blood spurts out, "Bell, get out of here." he looks at me sadly and walks over to me. I put my hands out I stop him, but he stands close to me. I feel his breath on my face, "I'm not going to let you die. Not alone at least." he takes my hand in his and let's go. My eye sight goes blurry and my legs feel weak. I feel my body fall to the side. I feel Bellamy's arms grab hold of my and before my vision goes dark I see his fingers run through my hair and his dark eyes trained on mine. And then I'm out.