17. Attack

I help him up. He struggles but manages to get to his feet. He slings an arm around my shoulder and we walk out of the drop ship. I chuckle, "C'mon big guy. I'll go wherever you want. Okay?" He nods. We walk outside. Octavia runs over to us and hugs her brother. He groans. He straightens, "I'm ok now." I let go of him and he exhales deeply. Clarke comes to stand beside us, "We need to leave camp." she says. Bellamy shakes his head, "What? We can't leave not now." Sometimes I feel like Clarke likes to pick fights with Bellamy. Maybe she does, "The grounders are coming at dawn. We need to leave." Bellamy looks at her angerily, "I say let em' come. We need to stand our ground." I touch his shoulder, "Maybe Clarke is right. Maybe we need to leave." he pushes me away, "No! We need to fight. The grounders are coming. And we have to fight them." I look at him surprised, "Are you sure?" He rolls his eyes, "Of course I'm sure. Have I ever been wrong before?" I'm about to open my mouth when he interrupts me, "You know what don't answer that. But we are staying here. And that's final." Clarke looks at him clearly annoyed, "Fine. You can stay here if you want. The rest of us are leaving." Bellamy looks at me and I sigh, "Can you just cooperate this once? Before you get yourself killed." He rolls his eyes and sighs, "Fine. Whatever you say, princess. But what are we going to do with her?" Bellamy points to Raven. Clarke speaks up, "We make a stretcher. Finn, Miller can you handle that." the boy with the ugly tattered hat nods. Finn follows him into the drop ship. Jasper comes out solemnly, "What about Monty." I walk over to him and put a hand on his shoulder, "We will find Monty. But right now, an army of grounder is coming to kill us. So it's not really a good time. We will find him."
"If we survive the night." Bellamy whispers. I scoff. I grab Jasper's hand and half drag him out the camp gates. Bellamy follows behind me and Clarke follows Finn and Miller carrying Raven. Sterling is closer to the front of the crowd of people. A boy named Drew stands next to him. We walk little by little into the forest. Everyone looks scared. Just then I hear something fling out of the trees. I can't see what it is though. Then I see Drew fall to the ground. Sterling looks stunned. I run over to him and see Drew laying on the ground. His eyes are glazed over and dull. He's not breathing and a trail of hot blood runs down his face. A big axe sticks out of his skull. I take a deep breath. "Mera watch out!" Someone shouts to me. I turn around to see an arrow spinning right for me. I feel someone push me out of the way and I crash on to the floor. Jasper lays on top of me. Our faces our inches apart. I look at him awkwardly and he gets off of me. Color rises in my face but I cover it up, "Thanks," I say. The rest of the group begins to run back to camp. I stay in one place for a second but then Bellamy grabs my hand and I'm dragged after the group. We run into camp and shut the gate doors. Bellamy grabs my shoulders and looks at me closely, "Stay in the drop ship. Wait for my there. Ok?" I look at him confused, "What?! No, I can't just leave you. I can fight, just let me. I won't disappoint, promise. Plus, I care about you too much to leave you here." He shakes his head, "I care about you too much to let you stay here." I scoff, "I'm staying here you can't make me leave." he nods, "You're right I can't. But here. You're going to need this." he hands me a gun. I smile and point it towards the gates. Then we wait.

Suddenly I hear arrows. Wizzing through the sky. They're coming, "You sure you want to stay out here?" Bellamy says. I nod. I was sure. I wouldn't let him die. At least not alone. I hear pounding on the gates. It wouldn't last long. I hear gun shots. The spotters are doing their job right. Jasper and Sterling are out there. I can't help but feel worried about them. But most of all I'm worried about Monty. I have a horrible fear that he's dead. That I'm too late. I look at Bellamy. He positions the gun on his shoulder. I do the same. The pounding is getting louder now and I feel the ground shaking. Clarke sent Octavia to get Lincoln to help us. Hopefully she's ok. I see the gate bending. I shake with fear. Suddenly I didn't want to be here anymore. I didn't want to fight. I wanted to take Bellamy and run into the drop ship. But I couldn't. I reach my hand down and lock my fingers around his, "Scared, princess?" He asks. I nod. He squeezes my hand and looks at the bending gun, "Good," he says, "You should be."