3. Rescue

"In love may you find the next"

My eyes flutter open at the feeling of my hand brushing the soil. I gasp at the sudden stinging pain in my head that had been subdued by sleep.

My body continues to be dragged across the ground. I look up to my hands and realize that my wrists are bound together with makeshift twine.

As my eyes travel downwards, I see Jasper sleeping peacefully next to me. His eyes are rolled into the back of his head and thick blood covers his neck and ears. I couldn't look much better than him.

My eyes continue to move down until I see that my ankles are bound with a similar twine to my wrists. My legs hover in the air as a burly man covered in armor pulls a rope attached to Jasper and I.

The man who drags us wears various animal pelts. His face is hidden by a mask made to look like a skull. There was no way this person was one of the 100. Which could only mean one thing. He was here before we came down.

A survivor.

The man looks back, seeing my opened eyes. He yells something in a language I don't understand, and stops walking. My legs fall to the ground, thumping on the hard soil. I groan in pain.

The man walks over to us, and my fear deepens as he grabs a long serrated knife. I close my eyes and the grounder moves the knife towards me, certain that he would kill me.

When I don't feel the knife enter my skin, I open my eyes, and see that the bonds on my legs have been cut.

The man says something else in the foreign language and motions with his hand for me to stand up.

I struggle to stand up. The dizziness from my head injury makes it impossible to see straight and put my feet firmly on the ground.

The survivor grunts, grabbing ahold of my shirt and heaving me to my feet. He turns and tugs on the rope that is still attached to my hands.

Steadily, I begin to walk behind him. My footing is unbalanced and my ears still ring from the pain in my head.

I close my eyes tightly, hoping that this will make the pain lessen, but soon enough I open them again to no avail.

I turn to Jasper, who lay beside me. The deep wound in his chest has been filled with green goo, and bandaged. I sigh in relief, knowing that these people did not intend to kill us.

If they were going to kill us, they would've let Jasper die with that spear in his chest.

A thought suddenly dawns on me.

Monty.

He could still come for us. He and the other could come to our aid. If the four of them were on their way back to camp, they could get back up. They could come back for us.

I smile slightly with hope before my expression darkens. Monty left us. Back at the river he turned and ran away from us for fear of getting killed. They all ran.

A part of me is relieved that Monty didn't chase after him. Who knows what these people are capable of. And if Monty had gotten involved, he could've gotten himself killed.

I try to maintain the fear instilled in me by thinking about the good that has happened so far.

I was given a second chance, allowed to live again. I'd been reunited with the only two people in the world that keep me sane.

Earth is survivable.

We found Mount Weather and the supplies needed to survive on this planet. And, those blows to my head hadn't killed me.