twenty one

aang and liara sat on top of a building. and after aang had finished meditating, he placed and arm around liara.

"i think I finally figured out why the four nations have to be seperate for harmony." aang muttered.

"yeah?"

"when two nations come together, the strong nation can't help but hurt the weaker nation. they'll conquer or burn or... at the very least make a joke of the weaker nation."

Liara hugged onto the boy, planting a kiss on his cheek. "we'll figure this out and restore harmony."

"yeah, and after, we'll preserve the air nomad culture as much as we can." he said, "I love our culture and what makes us different from the rest of the world."

"me too, but let's just focus on the harmony part right now, I'm afraid we have to see this through to the end, even though I can't choose a side anymore. a promise is a promise."

aang looked at her, "even if it means that you have to kill zuko?"

Liara pursed her lips, a worried frown creeping onto her face. "yes, I think so."

chanting sounded near them and Liara and aang knew that smellerbee and her protesters were back.

they stood at the gate and the two airbenders flew down. as they landed, smellerbee stepped forward.

"it's been three days, avatar aang, did all that talking get you anywhere? is the fire nation out of yu dao?"

"smellerbee, if you could just give us a little bit more time." aang said, but the girl immediately told her protesters to attack.

Liara narrowly dodged the rock they used to open the door. aang quickly used his earthbending to break the rock into many pieces, but it would have fallen on smellerbee

aang quickly jumped and pushed her out of the way just in time.

Liara sighed in relief, but gasped when she saw a drill gong through the city wall.

spirits, she was way too tired to deal with this.

as they began fighting, liara plopped down on the stairs to a building as aang tried to resolve the situation peacefully, until both he and smellerbee froze.

Liara walked over to see what was happening, and her heart sank. an entire earth kingdom army approached yu dao.

for crying out loud. couldn't she catch a break?

"looks like the earth King finally stepped up."

Liara huffed, and aang groaned, "monkey feathers!"

"avatar aang!" they looked behind them to see the fanclub girls in battle attire, with staffs.

"double monkey feathers." liara grunted.

the girls bowed to aang, "please forgive is for our unintentional disrespect, we have since covered out tattoos in defense to the airbenders. we now place ourselves at your service."

aang stopped them, "just go home, I have the protesters to deal with, not to mention the giant army that just showed up."

"but that's why we're at your service."

before liara could retort something, general how spoke, "attention, by order of the earth King, the kingdom reclaims the colony of yu dao."

"fire nation citizens are hereby declared criminals, and shall be arrested on sight."

"you can't do that!" she yelled op to king kuei, "can't we please just talk about this?!"

before anyone could even reply to liara, aang looked being him, "monkey feathers on top of monkey feathers!"

Liara turned to see what was going on, and involuntarily gasped, eyes widening and pupils constricting.

she felt aang's hand clasp around hers and she held it tightly

"what are we gonna do?" she whispered.

they were directly in the middle of the fire and earth armies.

"don't worry avatar aang! stand back!" one of the fake nomad girls said as they all stood in front of aang and Liara.

the boy has had enough and removed her hands from liara's. "you're not helping! you're only putting yourselves in danger! go home." he said as he created a strong wind funnel that took the girls back inside the city.

huffing, liara tied her hair into a ponytail, "now that they're finally gone. "let's get down to business."

"hold on," aang stopped her as the fire nation tank opened, revealing toph and sokka.

"toph? sokka?" she questioned and the earth bender smiled, "katara and suki too."

katara popped her hand out of the tank's window and waved.

"weren't you to supposed to pick me and katara up?" sokka barked, scowling at them as he climbed out of the tank.

aang nervously laughed, but liara shrugged, "we got held up by a possible war."

"since when were you defending fire nation colonials?" toph hissed.

"since now?" liara shrugged.

"listen to me, avatar, master airbender. the fire nation citizens will be treated with more humanity than we were during the war. harmony can be restored right now. you have the power to end this quickly." general how stated.

liara's head whipped to zuko. their eyes met, scowling at each other.

she didn't want to kill her friend.

"there has to be another way," she said to the general, almost pleading with him.

"you know well the cost of war. this isn't a life for a life. this is one life for many."

Liara took a few steps back, positioning herself a bit more behind aang.

wait.

"toph? you said that you were slowing down the fire nation?" liara chimed.

"yup, watch this, feather fingers."

with this, toph jumped onto the ground and stuck her hands out to the other tanks.

she heads some clinks, but then the tanks' wheels all fell off. liara smiled, "nice work, metalhead."

as how spat orders to the earth kingdom army to arrest the fire nation colonials, zuko told his troops to protect them.

the troops all began fighting each other and Liara zipped over to zuko.

"firelord zuko! I can't let you do this! I can't let you start another war!" she told the boy who frowned at her.

air swirled around the fourteen year old girl, lifting her up. "I'm afraid that a promise is a promise. and I ha-"

she was interrupted by aang grabbing her whilst flying on his glider. "liara. you have to be calm when making this decision!" he said as the landed.

Liara frowned, "i am calm!"

"you're really not,"

shush.

aang lifted his hands, "okay, but you haven't really thought this through." he said and took her face in his hands. "go meditate and talk to yao about it, I'll handle the army." he said as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

aang kissed her deeply, pulling her closer to him. when they pulled away, liara almost felt her knees go weak. "I love you, Li. and I will support you through everything, even if it means killing zuko."

Liara nodded, swallowing down the lump in her throat.