nineteen

"earth King kuei," aang bowed respectfully to the king liara following his movements.

"avatar aang, master liara, it's been much too long." the king greeted them excitedly.

the two airbenders stood, standing confidently in front of the king.

"i heard that you were dealing with the yu dao situation, thank you for all your help with the removal of that colony. the remaining few seem to be more difficult than-"

Liara had forgotten how much the earth King could ramble, so she lifted her hand, "actually, that's why we're here, your highness." she said, cutting the man off.

the man looked at her questioningly. "we'd like to set up a meeting between you and firelord zuko. yu dao is still there." she explained and aang nodded.

kuei rubbed his chin, "so then, the firelord persists to keep his colonies and denying the movement."

"no." liara disagreed. "this isn't that kind of situation, your majesty. it's about the people of the city. they-"

"this has nothing to do with the city!" kuei said before liara could finish.

Liara hardened her features, giving the earth King a glare as aang spoke. of course he wouldn't interrupt the avatar. "fire lord zuko has legitimate concerns for the citizens of yu dao. we need to sit down and talk about out options, maybe there's something we missed." aang said calmly.

~

aang hummed, his mouth full of food, "honey, you need to try this!" he said, placing the honey-infused milk bun on liara's plate. the girl smiled at him, "then you have to try this apple tart! it's amazing!" she marvelled, feeling pure joy from the sweets.

"these are the best milkbuns I've ever tasted!"

just then, the earth King approached their table and Liara quickly swallowed her food and wiped the crumbs off of her mouth.

"avatar aang, master liara, thank you for giving me time to ponder about your offer," he said formally and aang smiled, "no problem, your earthiness. thank you for dinner."

liara looked up at the earth King, "when should the meeting be with firelord zuko.?" she asked calmly,

"I'm sorry," kuei said, "but I have been lied to my whole life, and now that firelord zuko has turned his promise I to a lie, I will not stand for it!"

spirits have mercy.

"i will order general how to lead my troops to yu dao and enforce harmony!"

"that's not really how harmony works, see, if you do that, it will only cause more conflict and potentially start another war—" liara looked up

for the love of-

"he left." she said, furrowing her brows. looking at aang, she pressed her lips into a thin line.

"do you think I should... y'know... take his breath away before he declares war on a global superpower?" she half-joked, hoping to ease the tension.

aang scowled at her, "no."

she hadn't seen that before. she didn't like it very much.

he grabbed her hand and they ran out of the palace at the speed of the wind, jumping onto diki and urging her to fly.

"we have to get to yu dao, the sooner, the better." he said, gripping onto dikis reigns tightly. "hopefully we can convince the citizens to evacuate quick enough!"

Liara placed her small, gentle hand on top of his. "those people will be leaving their homes. maybe even their families. what will happen if they refuse to go?"

"i don't think we want to find out."

after a bit of flying, liara spoke up. "the king was right about zuko breaking his promise. promises should be kept and one should stay truthful to his words. even if he didn't want to be."

aang looked at he curiously, "aang, zuko should own up to what he said. he can't just fight over the land after breaking his promise, otherwise he really is like his father." liara's voice cracked.

the avatar took her into his arms and pulled her to his chest. "it's okay," he said softly as he petted her hair, "I'm not going to let this happen. not again."

Liara and aang left diki on her tragectory and retired to the jasmine-lined saddle.

aang laid down first and the liara joined him, laying her head in his chest, listening to his steady heartbeats. she noted that his breaths were longer than hers, indicating that he was calm and relaxed.

the combination of aang playing with her hair, the feeling of diki flying, and the soft hum of the wind lulled liara to sleep.