fourteen

the sky was tinted red as they arrived at the airship fleet. the crimson colour and the heat made liara sick. the sheer power from the comet had somehow wiped away all of the clouds in the sky

it was just like that day. the day of the genocide.

however, this time, she was ready. she knew what was coming and she was prepared. if aang didn't kill the fire lord, she will.

the ships were leaving just as they got there.

"were late! the fleet's already taking off!" sokka yelped.

Liara huffed, opening her glider. "we're taking off too." she said, grabbing onto each of them sloppily and bending them into the air and onto the ship with ease.

Liara was focused, precise and scarily calm. the three others knew that. they saw it in her eyes, the way her pupils constricted to show a light amber rim in the middle of her iris.

her usual rosy cheeks were colourless and the muscles on her back were tensed with stress and anticipation.

she was afraid, but her adrenaline overrode her fear and she was taking charge and guiding the others through the airship, bending firebenders off of the ship and into the sea if they got in her way.

as they reached the control room, toph knocked a toon and kicked down the door. as the firebenders began attacking, she bended the metal around her body and faught them off easily, being them onto the walls and out of the widows.

Liara stepped inside and gave the girl a thumbs up. "nice work." she praised,

"time to take control of the ship," sokka said and turned to suki. "take the wheel."

"that's a great idea! let the blind girl steer an airship."

"he was talking to suki." liara deadpanned, and toph scratched the back of her neck, "right."

after sokka geniusly got rid of the crew, they steered the airship forward, toward the main ship, where ozai was.

he was far ahead. very far ahead.

"were not gonna catch up yo him in time!" sokka yelled, and Liara's frown deepened, a nasty scowl evident on her face. "I can." she said opening her glider.

she was thinking irrationally, the fear of an earth kingdom genocide almost making her queasy, but she somehow converted that fear into anger.

"no way! feather fingers, you're gonna die out there!" toph told the girl.

feather fingers?

"I'm faster than anyone here, including aang if he isn't in the avatar state. I can use my speed to... handle the fire lord."

oh, now she realize how dumb she sounded. "nevermind." she said quickly, "I can go handle some of the other airships alone. I'll see if I can take down as many as I could.

as she flew out of the window, ozai's airship began blasting the earth kingdom landscape, and she prayed that aang was there waiting.

so when she landed on the first airship, she pressed her fists together and focused, a sonic ringing sounded through the ship, rendering everyone unconscious. she then went and steered the ship to a safer place.

as she did, she noticed the main ship going down too, and a grin crept to her face. "aang," she breathed.

however, it quickly fell as she focused on her task and landed the ship. then, she took her glider and flew over to the other side of the fleet.

she tried to fly as fast as she could while aang fought the firelord, but the recoil of the sheer force of their power was shaking the air around her, leading her to a sloppy landing atop of the airship.

this time, instead of soundbending, she delivered a powerful air slice to the top of the ship, making a large tear in the thin metal so that the aircraft couldn't fly and it sank down into the ocean.

when she flew to the next ship, it was over the land and a lot of fire poured from the ships. the heat reminding liara of the genocide

she noticed sokka and suki's airship beginning to crash into the other side of the fleet, and she felt proud for a moment before feeling the top of their airship crash into the one she was on.

the airship shook violently, almost resulting in liara falling off, but she quickly caught herself on the bottom of the ship, and jumped onto the deck.

she couldn't use soundbending now, seeing as sokka and toph were also here. she couldn't burst their eardrums and make them faint.

so she opted for another solution for her problem.

blow every firebender you see off this ship.

so she ran along the hallways of the ship, swinging her staff at the few firebenders she saw. but before she could even reach the control room, the ship changed direction and Liara painfully slammed into the wall.

she hissed as the ship flew into another one, metal breaking and flying around her, a large piece cutting into her side.

she had to get off of this ship.

she pushed herself off of the open window and took to the skies with her glider.

she was about to go to another ship, but she noticed something on the platforms of one of the airships a dot of blue and a dot of green dangling down, she heard their screams of fear and her heart sank. two firebenders approached them.

no, not again. liara wasn't leaving anyone to die again.

she got into an air surfing position on her glider, ignoring the pain in her left abdomen, and just as the firebenders lifted their hands to scorch her friends, they clenched their throats in agony instead.

balls of breath formed around the two firebenders' heads, liara felt their lungs convulse. she held so much power  over the firebenders, she could snuff them out easily.

but when she saw sokka and toph's faces, she lost her grip on their air and the two men fell to their knees, coughing and gasping for breath.

Liara quickly surfed down and picked up toph, placing her safely on the platform before helping sokka up.

"you.. you just-" the water tribe boy was stunned, but liara interrupted him. "nevermind that, sokka. this is war." she countered. and looked at toph, "could you restrain those two, please?"

"on it," the earthbender stated and quickly bent up some metal around the two firebenders.

just then, more firebenders arrived and Liara gripped her staff anxiously. it was three against ten. she didn't like those odds.

but before they could attack, another airship slammed into the one they were on, allowing the three of them to jump off and onto the top of the other ship.

sokka yelped at the landing, clenching  his foot. and Liara tried to stabilise herself with her staff, a sharp pain coming from her side.

she had forgotten that she was bleeding. her yellow robes were now torn and bloodied

"are you guys okay?!" suki questioned looking g over both liara and sokka's injuries. they didn't look good.

"I'm fine," liara said dismissively, stepping away from suki. she didn't want to worry the girl even more, seeing as her boyfriend was hurt.

Liara felt extreme heat from behind her, and when she turned, she saw aang in the avatar state, giving a great roar with his firebending.

her eyes widened. he's more powerful than she'd ever seen.

fire water and earth surrounded himas he was encased in a bubble of air. he formed into the shape of an atom.

he then began attacking ozai relentlessly, not giving the man any time to recooperate.

the man was afraid. liara could tell clearly. the way he fled from the avatar said enough, but when aang finally got him, liara was frozen. she wanted to see what aang would do.

will he kill him? or will he let him live?