{13} Trust

Kaia opened her tired eyes. Everything was blurry, as her eyelids hurt. She wanted to fall back asleep, but her conscience told her not to. Reluctantly, she rubbed her eyes to get rid of the blurry vision and attempted to sit up. Her entire body was sore and it hurt to breathe. Ignoring the pain and creaks of her aching bones, she fully sat up, only to see a gun pointed at her.

"Don't move," a familiar voice said. Kaia squinted to see Raven behind the gun, looking pale and extremely weak.

"That's not necessary, Raven," she said. "I'm not gonna hurt you."

She didn't lower her gun.

"You still don't trust me?"

Raven said nothing. Kaia sighed and reached into one of her pants pockets with a groan of pain.

"I said don't move!"

Deciding to take a risk, Kaia slowly pulled the bag out of her pocket.

"It's food," she said. She opened the bag and ate a berry, getting a sense of déjà vu. "Here," She lightly tossed the bag near Raven. "You need it."

Raven looked at the bag suspiciously, deliberating on whether or not she could trust Kaia. Eventually, her hunger got the best of her and she dropped her gun and snatched up the bag of berries, eating them ravenously.

"Where'd everyone go?" Kaia wondered.

"I don't know," Raven replied. "They all walked out and never walked back in."

Kaia inspected the wounds on the back of her knee and her abdomen. They had stopped bleeding and had instead scabbed over, but she knew she still needed her medical supplies. She turned back to Raven, who had finished eating the berries.

"Can you walk?" Kaia asked. Raven shook her head. "Can I take a look?" Raven hesitantly didn't object, so Kaia slowly crawled over to her, dragging her bow and empty quiver with her.

"Tell me when you feel something." Kaia said. He gently tapped on each of Raven's legs, gradually moving up.

"Wait," Raven said, stopping her. "Do you hear that?"

Kaia did; it was heavy footsteps just outside the drop ship. Raven grabbed her gun and aimed it at the curtain. After a few moments, a Grounder warrior pushed aside the curtain. Raven shot, and the Grounder fell to the floor, dead.

Kaia went back to tapping on Raven's leg, but she was stopped again by more footsteps. Raven picked up her gun once more and aimed it at the curtain.

Murphy walked into the room. Upon seeing the gun pointed at him, he put his hands in the air as a sign of surrender.

"Woah, woah, woah, it's ok," he rushed. "It's ok, Raven, don't... don't shoot. Please."

"Why not?" she said menacingly. "You shot me."

Raven pulled the trigger, but nothing happened. She was out of bullets. Murphy let out a sigh of relief and sat down across from the two girls. Raven pulled the gun over her body to protect herself, but Kaia had moved slightly in front of her to protect Raven, though Murphy looked just as weak as them.

"Yeah, I woulda shot me too." Murphy grumbled. He began using the dead Grounders weapon to saw through the ropes around his wrists.

"What're you doing here Murphy?" Raven asked. Kaia didn't speak; she didn't think her and Murphy were on speaking terms after what he did to her.

"Dying, same as you." he grumbled, managing to get the ropes off his wrists.

"Speak for yourself," Raven groaned in pain as she adjusted herself. "How many more out there?"

"None," he replied. "You fried 'em all, the only reason this one survived is 'cause they left him behind to guard me."

Raven began coughing and gagging on blood. Murphy got up to help her, but Kaia glared at him and he sat back down.

"Raven, roll onto your side," Kaia told her, nudging her onto her side. Raven obeyed, and the blood exited her mouth instead of going back into her throat. "It's ok. You're gonna be ok."

Raven sat back up as Kaia began cleaning her off with a piece of cloth. Raven glared at Murphy once more.

"You didn't answer my question," Raven grumbled to Murphy. "Why are you here?"

"I don't wanna die alone."

Murphy began untying the cloth from around his leg.

"How'd you get to be such a dick, Murphy?" Raven asked sarcastically.

"I'm sorry for shooting you, k?" he replied, not looking sorry at all. "Is that what you wanna hear?"

"Let me guess, Mommy and Daddy didn't love you?"

"Nah, they loved me," said Murphy, looking down.

"Are you gonna cry, Murphy?" Raven asked, rather cynically.

"Screw you, Raven."

"No, tell me, I wanna know," she said. "How does a kid who's loved by his parents, turn into a murdering psychopath?"

"He gets the flu," Murphy explained solemnly. "His dad steals medicine, that turns out wouldn't have worked anyway. Gets floated for it and, uh... his mother, she starts drinking pretty heavily after that... Last words she said to him before he finds her in a pool of her own vomit is that... Is that he killed his father."

"Boo hoo," Raven said quietly, feeling bad for him though she didn't want to. After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, Kaia decided to break the silence.

"I'm gonna go find some arrows," she said, grabbing her bow and quiver as she got to her feet. Her aching legs screamed in protest, but she ignored it. "I'll try to find some more food, too. In the mean time, split this bag of nuts."

She pulled a bag out from one of her pockets and tossed it on the floor.

"Aren't you gonna have some?" Raven asked, looking expectantly up at Kaia. She shook her head in response.

"You need the food more than me." Kaia replied, then limped out of the drop ship.

The sun blinded her, but her eyes quickly adjusted to the light. She immediately saw burnt corpses in front of her, frozen in terrified stances. She felt her heart sink to her stomach, but ignored the feeling. She needed to focus on finding arrows for protection.

She adjusted the quiver on her shoulder and pulled an arrow out of a nearby dead body. It needed to be cleaned, but it was useable; she tossed it in her quiver. She continued to find arrows, some of them she recognized as her own, and others that she could tell belonged to other warriors.

Two gunshots rang out in the distance, making a few birds fly out of the trees. It was far away, but still too close for comfort. She hurriedly scoured the battlefield for arrows until her quiver was full. A twig snapped in the distance, and Kaia was immediately on high alert. She nocked an arrow and searched the trees with her eyes. Thinking it was just her imagination but remaining cautious, she backed up until she was in front of the drop ship.

Shortly after, a crowd of people with guns approached. Kaia lifted her bow, prepared to shoot.

"Drop the weapon!" one of them shouted, his gun aimed at her. She kept her bow up and aimed at his head, but didn't release.

"Who are you?" Kaia demanded. She back up a bit so she was blocking the entrance to the drop ship.

Another man with a gun stepped forward, but he had his hands in the air as a sign of surrender. Despite this, Kaia turned her aim onto him.

"I'm Chancellor Kane," he said. "We're looking for our people."

She lowered her aim slightly, her eyes widening in shock.

"You're Sky People, aren't you? Do you have a doctor?" she asked, not waiting for a response. "My friend needs help, and I don't have my supplies-"

"Kaia?"