17 : One Hit, And I Wonder

Cruel Summer : One Hit, And I Wonder

2 years ago..

"Come on Belly!" Jolene shouted joyfully as their legs accelerated as they ran into the water.

Jeremiah, who was leading the group along with Conrad and Jo rushed and dove right into the waves. The three resurfaced as the waters lulled them.

Jolene and Jeremiah laughed as they saw Conrad get hit by a slightly bigger wave first, accidentally drinking the seawater.

"I hope every summer gets to be this fun." Jolene said to Jeremiah as they felt the waters calm down a bit. Jeremiah took her hands under the water trying to keep them afloat as they were inching closer to the slightly deeper part of the beach.

"Every summer gets to be fun as long as you're here Jo." Jeremiah smiled at her fixing stray strands of wet hair on her face pushing it back behind her ear.

The calming waters rocked them back and forth gently as the sky turned flamingo pink fused with the orange hues from the sun. Jolene looked up to see the sky exhibit the prettiest colors ever.

Flamingo pink
Sunrise Boulevard

"Jo?" Jeremiah called for her redirecting Jolene's attention back to him.

Clink, clink
Being this young is art

"Yeah?" She smiled at him, admiring his face which was illuminated by the sunset. The boy inched closer and whispered.

Aquamarine
Moonlit swimming pool

"You're beautiful."

What if all I need is you?

And just like that, Jolene felt as if her world was complete. All the stress just snapped a way in an instant. She left Oliver but she was happy with Jeremiah. Nothing could ever compare how happy she was, especially with Jeremiah.

———

I didn't need Jeremiah to be happy.

Jolene thought to herself, as if she didn't cry over him. She was lying on the couch watching tv when Susannah came and sat down by her head.

"Hey.." Susannah fixed a strand of Jolene's hair stuck to her forehead. Jo immediately sat up and paused the show she was watching knowing exactly what Susannah about to say, she knew it was about Jeremiah and her yet she didn't want to make it seem like she was affected by it too much. She didn't need Jeremiah anymore. That was what she kept saying to herself, for her to keep her sanity intact.

Susannah opened her mouth to say something but stopped short and continued.

"do you remember the time when you and Jeremiah were kids and you would steal all the candies from halloween and keep it inside your closets thinking me and Laur wouldn't find out?" Susannah paused as she chuckled but quickly continued on with her story.

"but then— we would always find out because you two would always complain that there were ants in your room? " the woman looked at Jo yearning for her to show the slightest emotion and reply.

The woman breathed a sigh of sadness, taking in how bad the aftermath had been. She was hurting just thinking about it.

" I knew one of you girls were destined to be with one of my boys, i just didn't know who. But i always had my suspicions.. I know how you two feel. I know everything is going so fast right now— i mean, you two are growing up and it's no joke. But that doesn't mean you two should drift away from each other just because you feel that way. If one of you keeps pushing away when the other just wants to hold you close, then it's impossible." Susannah had tears swelling in her eyes as she finished saying this, tucking a strand of hair behind Jolene's ear to clearly see her face.

Jolene turned her face away afraid Susannah might see the tears forming in her eyes as well. But then the woman gently made Jo face her as she wiped away her tears and hugged her ever so tightly.

Jolene broke down as she quietly sobbed in Susannah's arms unable to hold her back her overwhelming emotions.

"I know honey, i know." Susannah said as she gently caressed Jo's hair as she continued crying into her arms.

———

"God, i know he can be such a dick sometimes" Gigi laughed as she  described Jeremiah's brother, Conrad.

"I know, but everyone likes him alot somehow." Jeremiah snarkily said as he took a swig of his beer passing it to Gigi who was sitting at the edge of the pool.

Gigi took a sip of the beer and set it down beside her looking at Jeremiah and saying :

"Not me."

Jeremiah laughed at her "shocking revelation" as if he didn't know Gigi was interested in him for a long time now. Jeremiah chuckled as he sat down next to her by the pool, taking the beer from her hands and chugging it down, it burned like hell but who cares anyways? It was his life.

Gigi took the bottle away from him and laughed as she said, "slow down!" setting the bottle down beside her rolling her eyes jokingly. However, she was abruptly turned to face Jeremiah who then pulled her in for a kiss. None of it seemed passionate, it only screamed force and the alcohol taking control of him. Gigi didn't seem to care as she let it happen. She was literally kissing the hottest guy right now. This was Jeremiah Fisher and it wasn't just a small thing.

Jeremiah didn't feel a single thought run through his mind. He didn't care anymore, cause why would he? If Jolene could have some fun, he could too.

He pulled away from the kiss and smiled drunkenly as Gigi tried to kiss him again as he then got up from his position. Walking up to the drink cooler to get some more beer. The last thing he remembered, Gigi telling him to wake up.

———

"Shit, he looks so fucked up right now" a male voice rang through Jeremiah's ears causing him to regain consciousness ever so slightly, it sounded like Conrad but he wasn't too sure if he was dreaming or not.

"Dont we need to tell Mom and Susannah?" a female voice then spoke, this person sounded like Belly, Jeremiah's vision was hazy or much rather blurry. He couldn't see anyone clearly neither did hear who was speaking quite properly which bugged him out causing his head to start hurting more.

"Dont worry about it, just help me get him in the car." a second female voice said in concern. He knew for a fact that this was her. It was Jolene. His head started hurting more and more as his vision blackened for the second time.

He had passed out again.