14 : Im Only 17, I Don't Know Anything.

Cruel Summer: Im Only 17, I Don't Know Anything.

Shit, i overslept.

Luckily, Jolene and Ollie hadn't made any plans for today. Oliver had to help his mom at the bakery telling Jo he couldn't hang out with her; this made Jo bored out of her mind and finding herself getting out of bed to go downstairs for breakfast.

Opening the door and walking to the bathroom to freshen up and brush her teeth came Jeremiah obviously surprised he even saw Jolene at home this particular day.

Jolene just ignored Jeremiah like he was just air passing by, making Jeremiah speak up.

"Wow, are you going to keep ignoring me forever Jo?" Jeremiah spoke making Jo turn to him.

Jolene stocked up her patience and exhaled.

"Fine. Speak." Jolene leaned against the doorframe crossing her arms to look intimidating wanting to finish this conversation early.

"Im sorry Jo, I absolutely hundred percent know leading you on and getting your hopes up high was wrong— i know you liked me but I was too scared to realize it. You're my best friend ever since we were little, I don't want that to- to change. I know I hurt you but please, forgive me— please?" Jeremiah explained mindfully yet a hint of hesitation clear in his apology, Jolene was about to speak up but Jeremiah suddenly continued speaking.

" The fact that i hurt you makes me sick to my stomach knowing the only person who would do anything to make me smile was hurt, i know it sounds cheesy and all. Please, will you forgive me?"

Jolene hated seeing him like this, yet he still hurt her. But he was right. Jolene was his best friend.

" I'm sorry- im sorry, its just that I got my hopes up too high, I hurt myself thinking my best friend could ever feel the same. Let's just put this all in the past. Done." Jolene huffed a sigh and rubbed her head as she took Jeremiah's hand.

Jolene looked into his eyes and pulled him in for a hug. She had missed this feeling alot, being in Jeremiah's arms. But no, she loved Ollie. Jeremiah was her past now.

"I'm sorry I got really mad at you, everything really just piled up and all." Jolene apologized for her clouded decisions and actions. She spoke as she felt Jeremiah's arms wrap around her figure.

Jeremiah had hugged Jolene back tightly soaking up all the missed days with her, when everything felt so dull and lifeless. He had tried distracting himself from Jo but there was no use— he always thought about her whenever, wherever.

"I missed you." Jeremiah said softly.

Jolene's breath hitched as she replied back.

"I missed you too, silly." Jolene started to pull away.

They both pulled away from the hug. Glad that the silent barrier had now been struck down.

"Let's go eat, come on." Jeremiah held Jolene's hand and led her down the stairs to the kitchen smiling brightly where fresh bacon were set down on the counter and a buttery aroma filling the air.

Susannah had noticed that the two were holding hands and spoke.

"Im glad to see you two had already made up. I knew you two could do it." Susannah clapped like a little kid smiling joyfully looking at the two.

"True, i was beginning to think one of you would kill the other." Steven spoke from behind them looking directly at his sister.

Jolene rolled her eyes and sat down on the dining table getting a plate passed to her by Jeremiah. He had served her fresh sizzling bacon and some french toast. Jolene's eyes lit up seeing the french toast as she quickly stuffed her mouth with it.

"Gross." Steven commented under his breath which Jolene obviously heard.

"Shut up Steven!" She had mumbled from the toast still in her mouth.

Jeremiah chuckled as he spoke.

"You really need to stop talking with your mouth full." Jeremiah smiled like an idiot as he wiped some cinnamon powder off her lips.

"Coming from you? You talk with your mouth full too!" Jolene smacked him slightly on the shoulder laughing.

"Atleast i don't spray toast on other while doing so." Jeremiah said dusting his shirt off intentionally.

"You guys annoy me so much." Jolene rolled her eyes at the boys as she continued eating the sumptuous breakfast prepared by Susannah.

Jeremiah looked at his best friend, admiring her. He would tell himself over and over how he was so stupid to lead her on and lie to her about how he truly felt. Even when he apologised he still found a way to fuck it up.

But atleast Jolene had forgiven him right?

———

After breakfast the two went on a walk to the beach and talked, caught up with what they had missed the past few days.

"You spilled what on a customer?!" Jolene roared with laughter uncontrollably.

"Yeah, okay- my bad. I barely had sleep that day, i bet their clothes still reek of kombucha till this day." Jeremiah chuckled as he told Jolene the story of when he spilt kombucha on a female customer.

"Shit, that must suck balls. Those things reek." Jolene scrunched her nose as if smelling kombucha then proceeding to laugh out loud.

Jeremiah stared at her laughing warmly, he then gathered the courage to fix everything here, really fix everything.

"You know I've been meaning to tell you something." Jeremiah blurted out on impulse.

Jolene calmed her roaring laughter and replied.

"Yeah? What is it?" Jolene asked turning to him and inching closer to where he sat.

"Jo, I just-" Jeremiah was cut off by a voice from behind. It was a guy's voice, not far from his age. The two then started turning around to see Oliver.

"Jo! I knew it was you." Oliver lit up seeing his girlfriend.

Jolene then ran up to him and hugged him, the couple hugging each other tightly. Letting go remembering that Jeremiah was present.

"Oh uhm, i believe we have met before." Ollie extended his arm to Jeremiah who was dumbstruck.

Jeremiah shook his hand and replied.

"Yeah, we have— you're Jolene's friend right?" Jeremiah took a step back looking at Jolene for reassurance.

"Well actually we already dated before, we just got back together." Ollie smiled as he pulled Jolene closer by the waist gently.

Jeremiah's heart dropped hearing that. Jolene looked at him, seeing him so distraught. She felt tension rising ever so slightly.

" Is that true? Jo? You're his- girlfriend? "Jeremiah clenched his fists trying to calm himself from everything.

Jolene stuttered, but she answered him.

Her answer left his heart broken.

"Yes. Oliver is my boyfriend."