02 : The O in Jo Stands For Overthinking

CRUEL SUMMER: The O in Jo Stands For Overthinking

Im kinda hungry.

Jo thought of going to get a snack downstairs, she stood up from the comfort of the bed and walked out of the room, she scanned the walls of the house, the memories of last summer washing over her like the waves on the beach.

A distinct memory popped into her head however. It was of her and Jeremiah laying on the sand.

"wouldn't it be funny if we married each other if we're both still marriage-less by the time were adults?" Jeremiah asked jokingly.

"that wouldn't be a bad idea i guess, i mean.. we've practically been living in the same house" Jo responded looking at the blue sky.

"promise me then." Jeremiah stuck his pinky finger at Jo, Jolene lifted her hand up and interlocked her pinky finger with Jere's. They both let go laughing as Jeremiah blurted out.

"i think you'll make a great wife, you're just so fun to be with, for whoever you may end up with."

honestly i just hope it would be you Jere.

"hopefully I'll learn to cook good pancakes by then and not burn them." Jo giggled and Jeremiah joined soon after.

Jolene smiled as she faded back into reality. She made her way downstairs and went straight to the kitchen finding a dripping wet Belly sitting on the chair. Jo made her way to Susannah and her mom, trying to avoid slipping from the mess Belly made.

" Belly, seriously? You're flooding the place." Jolene joked grabbing a towel to toss her mom for her sister

"You're dripping water all over the place." Laurel said sternly as she dried Belly's long hair, while Susannah smiled, shook her head and whispered "Laur, she's gorgeous"

"i know" Laurel whispered back to Susannah.

"you have always been lovely but, oh, honey, look at you. Even Jolene! " Susannah compliments Belly and Jo as they all chuckled agreeing.

"Laur, Jo and Belly are you all over" Susannah pointed out.

Jo and Belly laughs. "people always say i look like my dad" Belly says.

Susannah disagreed however.

"No, when your mom and I first met, she looked just like you especially Jolene. " Jo smiled at Susannah. Jolene did in fact probably look alot like Laurel more than Belly but nonetheless you could still tbe similarities in their facial features.

"except i had no boobs at all." Laurel joked as she walks.

"Gross, Mom" Belly and Jo said in unison.

They all laugh.

"I'll go call dad" Jo announced.

"Good, i was just about to say that." Laurel smiled at Jolene warmly.

The divorce was kinda rough but Jo was glad they still managed it pretty maturely, especially since their dad already had a new girlfriend. She went upstairs to go find her phone and call her dad. Jo got a hold of her phone and searched for her father's contact number.

It rang for quite a while until it finally connected.

"hey sweetie, how is it there?" she heard her Dad's voice and bit of shuffling noises.

"pretty good so far, when are you going here?" she asked straight to the point.

"i know what you mean, im pretty busy but hopefully I'll be there already by the 4th, okay?" Jolene's dad reassured her.

"you better." she chuckled softly.

She missed how life was but she also knew that maybe her mom and dad didn't really just worked well together as a couple. It was a hard pill to swallow for Jolene but she knew it was for the best.

"i gotta go sweetie, see you soon. I love you." Jo's Dad bid farewell.

"love you too." she hangs up and exhales.

Jolene then hears Belly and Jeremiah.

"Aw, man. I've been wanting to go in the ocean all day, but I've been waiting for you to get here. Please. Pretty please. Pretty please!" Jeremiah kept trying to pursue Belly.

"Yeah, yeah, screw it. Let's, let's go swim. Yes. All right, I'll meet you outside, okay?" Belly finally gave in.

Belly.. Belly wouldn't try and get with Jeremiah right? She wouldn't? What about Jeremiah? Hopefully he doesn't like Belly. Jere probably doesn't and Belly likes his brother, snap out of it Jo.

She then hears them outside, she looks out the window and sees them running.

Hopefully.

Jo walked towards the bed and falls back onto it, sinking back onto the comfort of her bed. Hopefully this summer wasn't going to be bad. Jolene puts on her earphones and plays My Kind Of Woman closes her eyes and drifts to sleep.

Oh, baby
Oh, man

You're makin' me crazy
Really drivin' me mad
That's alright with me
It's really no fuss

As long as you're next to me
Just the two of us.

It was already dark when Jo woke up, Jolene tossed and turned for a minute before getting up and stretching, she had to get ready for the party Jeremiah invited her to.

What the fuck was i going to wear

Jo thought for a while and grabbed her luggage and set it down on the bed, she opened to see a variety of clothes. She scanned the suitcase for a thing she could wear to the party. Jo's eyes landed on the high waisted denim shorts and cropped top. Basic. But its better to be safe than sorry.

There would probably be a bunch of creeps and pervs anyways, Jo then took of her t-shirt and shorts, leaving her only wearing her undergarments. The cold air hit her bare skin and sent a small chill through her. The door suddenly barged open revealing a Jeremiah all dressed up and ready. Jolene immediately grabbed her tshirt to cover her body.

shit i forgot to lock the door.

"Shit! Sorry. " Jeremiah said covering his eyes instantly and turned around closing the door.

"Knocking exists you know! " Jolene exclaimed clutching her tshirt to her chest.

"Locking the door too you know. I won't look, i just came to tell you we're leaving for the party already." Jeremiah stated.

"As you obviously saw. Im getting dressed already not until you came knocking that door down." Jo rolled her eyes and started dressing again.

"you're hot by the way" Jeremiah laughed fixing his hair.

fuck.