Chapter 28 (Steven) (Edited)

***** Edited by Krisgee*****

2011 Copyright All rights reserved

Chapter 28 (Steven)

            I was running.  I didn’t know where I was running to, I just ran.  My wolf was raging with fury.  My mate was missing and all I knew was that another male had her.  I stopped in the middle of a pasture and lifted my head to the sky.  I sniffed for a hint of where she may be, but there was nothing.  The trail died at the end of the territory. 

            “Amy,” I cried out through the mental bond again.  Silence.  “Amy, damnit, answer me.”

            Still nothing.  Lifting my head I howled to the heavens.  I needed someone to hear my call; they had to.  Blood was rushing through my head and all I could see was red.  My mate had been taken from me.   I had to find her because I knew who had her.  My father’s pack.  If they so much as touched one hair on that pretty head of hers, they would pay.  They would pay with their life. 

            I needed help.  Turning, I took off at a dead sprint though the woods heading back to town.  I needed to get to Zach, my mate’s twin.  With every footfall I pushed myself harder.  Time was my main enemy at the moment.  The heat had to be affecting her by now and with all those males in the vicinity, I shuddered at what could happen.  Closing my eyes I sent a quick prayer to the Moon Goddess to please keep her safe.    

            Arriving in town I stayed in my wolf form because it was faster and I could use my heightened sense of smell to find Zach.  He was the one that I needed.  To hell with the humans who spotted me.  My only thoughts were for the safety of my mate.

            “Amy?” I called out again, hoping against hope that I might get an answer.  Waiting, waiting and nothing.  Damn.  Putting my nose to the ground I pushed myself even harder.  The clock was ticking and my mate’s life was at stake.

            Finally, I locked onto Zach’s scent.  He was still at Tabby’s house.  Running around to the back yard I swiftly accepted the change.  Not thinking twice about being in my birthday suit I ran up the steps used my fists to bang on the back door.  Shifting my weight from one foot to the next all my impatience was gone out the window. 

            “Hurry up and open the door,” I growled under my breath.  Lifting my fist I pounded even harder on the back door.

            “Coming,” I heard Tabby call out in an annoyed tone.

            “Finally.”

            She swung the door open and her eyes grew to the size of saucers at the sight of me. 

            Quickly adverting her gaze she said, “Steven, you’re naked.”

            “No shit Sherlock,” I barked out.  It was inconsiderate and rude but I didn’t have the time to soothe her sensibilities.  My mate was in trouble.   

            “I need Zach now.”  The tone of my voice was rough and guttural but this was urgent.  Without another word she turned and was gone.  I waited on the porch and tried to mentally reach my mate again. 

            “Princess?  Please if you can hear me say something.”  Seconds passed and still no answer.  I felt the water well up in my eyes and quickly wiped it away.  I couldn’t let myself feel right now.  I had to concentrate on getting her back.