Chapter 30

A/N: Okay guys, I suck because this chapter took me so much longer than I thought it would, but I hope it is worth that wait. To make up for that, I thought I'd announce the name of Book 5.
Give Me Grace: Devil's Right Hand MC #5
Any guesses of the plot line now??

Skillet's POV

Clutching the old watch, the second hand slowly ticks by. Every second feels like an hour. Every minute feels like a year. The rational part of me knows that it takes time to prepare for an undercover operation, but it's being silenced by a louder voice, the part of me that's so utterly in love with her that I can't breathe. The part of me that knows every second we are standing here is a second they could be doing the unthinkable to her.

A growl rumbles through my chest at that thought. I'm going to kill them all. Every last one of them.

We are the demons. Our job is to protect the innocent and we couldn't even protect one of our own. She's the goddamn club princess. She's royalty, and still, she was taken by the darkness we fight every single day.

Grace failed her.
I failed her.
We all failed her.

"How much longer?" I ask again. Memories of Chrissy's cute impatience flood through my mind involuntarily and it simultaneous causes a small smile yet twists my heart inside my chest. If I had a nickel for every 'are we there yet?' we would be in Paris sipping champagne, far away from the mess of this world.

"I think we're ready," Gabby says as she and Shorty step out of the kitchen.

Through my haze, I have to do a double take as I soak in their appearance. It's almost like they're two different people than they were only a few minutes ago. Is this what Chrissy will look like? Is this what they've done to her?

Immediately, I shake that thought from my mind, I can't go there, not yet anyway. My focus shifts to Gabby as she talks logistics but I can't bring myself to listen. Amber must've worked magic with her makeup because Gabby's face looks sunken in and the bags under her eyes are five shades darker than they were this morning. Her red hair is matted and the roots are shinny, much like Shorty's blond hair. The outfits are what surprises me most. They're simple t-shirts, but it looks like somebody took a pair of scissors to the neckline and the skirts are so short they can't bend over. A thick layer of dust and dirt covers not only their clothes, but their bare skin, as well.

"Pull your skirt down," Driver grumbles as everyone takes in their appearances.

Shorty opens her mouth, but Gabby speaks before her. "Okay, none of that from anybody," she snaps. "This is how street girls dress, if we go in conservative we'll stick out like a sore thumb. If anybody has anything to say about us going under, speak now or forever hold your peace because once we're in, we're in."

"You two need a safe word," Blade chimes in. He's stayed quiet during the planning, but so have I. This is a lot to process from my perspective, so I can't imagine what it is like for him.

"Rain," Gabby says automatically. "But listen to my words, nobody comes in unless I use that safe word. Shorty, if you get uncomfortable, slip out and I'll tell them you went to meet a John. I am not leaving until we find her."

"Now hold up-" Axe begins but Gabby cuts him off.

"This was my life for six years, I can handle myself." She dismisses with a wave of her hand. Then, her eyes move to Blade and I as she says, "I am not leaving there without her location."

Determination seeps out of her pores and authority laces her voice. God help me, I believe her. She's almost as passionate about this as I am. Almost.