Chapter 23

A/N: Hey Babes! I have no idea what is happening but the DRH series has gotten 10k read (across the 4 books) in a week. WHAT?!? So to all of my new peeps, welcome. To all of my ride or dies, thank you for sticking with me through this crazy journey. Here's a fluffy chapter for y'all but buckle up babes.... Y'all have no idea what I have up my sleeve hehe

Skillet's POV

Working with your girl sounds like a great idea in the beginning. Every day, I watch her do a job she loves. Slowly, I watched confidence build in her and very quickly she became a damn good bounty hunter. One of the best.

Of course, it also means I get to spend a lot more time with her, which is always a plus. Even if the boys give me shit about looking at her so much. Bear doesn't understand it. When you're single the concept of just wanting to look at somebody all day is inconceivable, but you learn very quickly all of the things you never knew you never knew. Wolf, on the other hand, is just enjoying this way too much. He was the one who really brought me into the club. I still look up to him like a big brother, which means I busted his balls like a typical little brother when he got with Clove. Boy, I'm getting my payback now.

All in all, working with her has been great. In fact, a few hours ago I couldn't see the downside of it. Lord, I learned real fucking fast how hard this will actually be. Especially since injuries are inevitable in this line of work. I should've expected this, but I didn't think it'd be so soon.

"You sure you're okay?" I ask from my desk as I stare at her. I can see the beginnings of a bruise covering her left eye and my heartbeat quickens. I didn't think there would already be a bruise. 

"The next person who asks me that is getting throat punched," she groans and rolls her eyes. "She hit me, I hit her back. We filed assault charges. It's as simple as that, people."

Nothing about that is simple.
Nothing.

It started as a simple bounty this morning, just a deadbeat mom who is like a million years behind on child support so caught a charge. Yesterday, she failed to appear in court meaning it was our turn to step in.

We read her record front to back and there was no history of violence. None.

It was supposed to be a normal hunt. In and out. Real smooth like we've done a million times. Since it was a female, Chrissy took the lead. We found her hiding in her best friend's house and we boxed her in. Most people give up after they realize they're trapped, but this bitch fought back. Nobody even realized what was happened until his fist was connected to Chrissy's face.

There are very few things that make me nauseous, but that just made it to the top of the list.

Of course Chrissy handled it like the pro she is and defended herself without a second thought. I don't even think she flinched, but I felt like I couldn't breathe. Everybody freaked out a little bit. This is the first time she's been hurt on the job and all of us have grown to care about her. Not to mentioned we're all dead if she gets seriously injured. 

"You did more than hit her back," Bear chuckles.

"Just heard back from the jail docs, you broke her jaw," Wolf smiles.

I can't hide the smile of pride that appears on my face. Yeah, my girl is a badass.

"See, I handled her. I'll barely have a bruise. She's got another charge and a broke jaw. This is literally nothing," she tries to dismiss but I'm not convinced.

"Somebody put their hands on you, it's definitely not nothing," I growl. She only rolls her eyes while Wolf bites his lip to hide a smirk.

"Brother, it's part of the job," Bear adds.