Chapter 15

Skillet's POV

My Ma always says you can't start a new chapter until you finish the last one. Truly, I never knew what the hell she was talking about. As a teenager, you think you know everything, and I never outgrew that egotistical nature. Now, I know what she means. I've had a front-row seat to it this weekend.

Friday, I watched Chrissy have a full-blown mental breakdown over hoodies, but I know the bigger issue is her underlying grief. At that moment, I realized her life had been moving so quickly she never fully processed that loss, she just took it in stride and kept moving. Even after my sad attempt at fixing the hoodie situation, I expected her to be held up in her room all weekend. I thought she would be sad for weeks, but, thankfully, I was wrong. Saturday night, she came down to the bar with a renewed motivation and finally allowed her goofy personality to show through. Sunday was no different. It felt like she finally became a part of the family, even though she's been here for almost two weeks.

This change was so drastic I didn't understand it. Saturday I kept pulling her aside to make sure she was okay no matter how many times she assured me she was. The funny thing is after a while I actually believed her because I finally understood that damn saying my Ma has drilled into my head. As horrible as the hoodie situation was, maybe it allowed her to finally process that trauma. Maybe she's coming to terms with the end of one chapter leading to the beginning of another.

Speaking of new chapters, I'm still trying to process all of the life-changing events I witnessed this weekend. Of course, there was the hoodie incident and then my attempt at fixing it. Then, later that day I watched Chrissy completely open up to the club for the first time since she's been here. She downed shots with all of us and then disappeared into the kitchen for a conversation with Grace which ended in a hug. That was only moments before Wolf told her to come into work at 9am on Monday, that she officially had a job at the bondsman shop. Just when I thought the life-changing events were over, Clove and Wolf announced that they're having another baby. Wolf once told me after a few beers he wants six kids, and if they keep going at this rate, that could actually happen. They looked happy, though. Hell, all of us were ecstatic. We're a family. We celebrate the ups and carry the downs together. And now it's very clear that Chrissy is a part of that family.

Like I told Chrissy, something is always happening in this clubhouse, and this weekend was a perfect example. However, now we all have to get back to the real world as the weight of Monday morning washes over me. While I have never ever been a morning person, today I dragged myself out of bed an hour earlier than usual so I could meet Chrissy.

It's only 7:30 in the morning and I'm walking down the stairs to meet her. As I stand on the midway landing, I get a glimpse of her. Her hair is tied back in a very thick ponytail and she's wearing loose jeans and a gray t-shirt. I literally think this girl could wear a potato sack and still be gorgeous. Wait, I think that's just because she's conventionally pretty. There's absolutely no other reason. Even though her beauty is far from conventional.

Okay, shut up, Skillet. Focus. You are just doing this to be nice since she's your friend. After all, she's the president's daughter.

I force my feet to move as I walk down the last few steps and I can get a full view of her. A huge smile is plastered on her face and she's fidgeting so much it almost looks like she's bouncing with excitement.

God, that smile.

"Hey," I say as I walk into the bar.

"Guess what I just did?" She asks as her smile widens.

Whatever it is, it's my new favorite thing if it makes her smile that hard.

"What?"

"I just quit the gas station."