Chapter 29

A/N: I'm so sorry I kept y'all waiting so long! I got invited on a last-minute girls trip before graduation and it took me a few days to recover lol. I promise to be back with frequent updates! I will not leave you guys hanging for very long!

Trigger Warning: Implication of SA. Drug use. Violence.

Chrissy's POV

How did I end up here?

Three months ago I was so happy, I just didn't know it at the time. The grass is always greener on the other side until you get there. This side isn't better. It isn't happy. It smells like urine and weed.

The side with my Mama was greener. We were just living to live. There was no tragedy. Our purpose was simple: go to work, pay bills, and support Stella. The line was clear. There was no questioning. Three months ago I was so sure of who I was, but now it feels like I'm lost in the woods without a compass.

Well, now I'm not that lost at all, am I? One can't be lost when they're hand cuffed to a fucking bed. Missing, maybe, but not lost. Then again, is someone really missing if no one is looking for them?

How the fuck did I end up here?

The cold metal bites my wrists as I struggle against the old metal bed frame for the millionth time. By now, I've realized it's no use, but I have to try something. I have no idea what this Dave guy's motive is, but I know that nothing good happens after being drugged, kidnapped, and cuffed to a bed in a dingy ass room. Though I'm not sure how long I've been here, the sun as risen and fallen through the tattered curtains. The rusted metal frame of the bed is the only thing that distinguishes this room from every other shitty motel I've seen. There's a mini fridge in the corner with an old box TV and a couch that I would never ever sit on. The couch is green, though I don't think that was the original color, and the fabric is torn to shreds. A thick layer of grim covers the entire room and the stench of weed is baked into the walls. Weed used to be my friend, but now it's turned into an enemy. It's one more thing that can make me less aware and I can't afford to be anything less than laser focused right now.

Groaning, I roll my hips to relieve a little pressure and am reminded how badly I have to pee. I've been tied to this goddamn bed for almost a day and not a single person has entered the room. They're probably trying psych me out, but it's not going to work. Or if it does, I won't show it. I don't know what they want, but I have to keep my head in the game. Even if I'm not a bounty hunter, I have some kind of instincts or I wouldn't have gotten the job. At least that's what I keep telling myself. I have to rely on those instincts. They're all I have left.

Goddamn it, I really have to pee. I really shouldn't have downed that Coke. Not only because I'm fairly certain that's how Dave drugged me, but now my bladder is about to rupture. And I refuse to pee myself. I won't give them the satisfaction of humiliating me like that.

Trying to distract myself from the time bomb inside my bladder, my mind flashes to Bailey. I haven't let myself think about him since I left, but the image of his face is the only thing keeping me sane right now. Those ice blue eyes are burned into my mind and the way he called me Darlin' is tattoo across my heart. The care and affection in his touch makes my skin tingle at the memory. It was the best time of my life, but it was over so quickly.

My life may be over too soon, just like my Mama.

Stella is the next image that floods my mind. Guilt will eat her alive if she finds out I died. Hell, my body may never get found. For all I know these people are cannibals about to roast me like a pig over a fire. Though at some point, she'll have to realize I'm missing. She'll think I died hating her. I've never hated her. I could never hate her. Sure, I was pissed at her, but she won't know the difference between the two emotions. For the rest of her life she'll live with the knowledge that the last words she said to her sister were 'I'm ashamed of you.' How can anyone have any sort of a normal life after that?