53. To the accounting department.

"Subhanallah!" Safiyya gasped when she heard the popping of something and glitters blocking her view. She stood there frozen before the filing office and saw Gab and the other workers holding balloons and pizza packs. 

"Congratulations on your promotion!" they shouted and started clapping. 

Promotion? Safiyya was surprised and something clicked in her head. Her eyes widened and a grin formed too. Gab walked over and handed the bouquet of balloons to her. 

"Congratulations partner," he smiled. 

"Thank you Gab," she returned and turned to the others. "Thanks guys," they acknowledged her with their smiles and Gab told them to go back to work while Safiyya went after him to the working desk. 

He brought out a white file and handed it over to her. "This was delivered from the vice CEO's office."

Safiyya opened it and the first document was an employment letter from the accounting department. The second was the acknowledgment from the manager of the accounting department against the tests and interviews she went through. Next was a promotion letter from the filing office because technically, she signed her first employment letter here. Next was an acknowledgment of work from the filing office and other working documents. 

"Sign them and you can start working there today," Gab said excitedly. Safiyya nodded and signed the papers. Was this really happening? She can finally work as an accountant! 

Gab clapped his hands and told her, "You are the first person I know who got an employment letter and promotion letter at the same time. You see, working in one department for a month earns you a promotion letter which will assist your future promotion in your new department, especially if you are acknowledged. I enjoyed working with you, so here you go," 

Safiyya was amazed and gratified when she remembered what Alfred told her the other day. He told her not to seek her promotion until a month had passed. No wonder. 

"Thank you Gab for teaching me," she tipped her head in respect. He waved his hand dismissively and said, "You deserve it. You were a fast learner and if it was someone else that was left to do that job alone, they would have quit. Your perseverance is what I like the most and respect. I wish you success in your new department," 

She smiled and nodded. A knock sounded on the door and they turned around only for her smile to falter. That spiked-haired man, Lando was standing there. He grinned after sighting her and walked over. 

"Oh, Miss Safiyya. I should congratulate you on your promotion," he said but it was sardonic. Safiyya simply kept her silence. 

He cleared his throat at being ignored and gestured outside. "Let's go upstairs missus. Miss Fernandez assigned me to escort you to your new workplace," 

Safiyya felt an ominous feeling when Irene was mentioned. She just hoped that the woman didn't tamper with anything. Last time, she brought her here but it was with Alfred's permission. He knows that she isn't at fault anymore so, she wonders what Irene wants with her again. 

Taking those thoughts off her mind, she said goodbye to Gab and followed Lando. The ride to the 12th floor was quiet and Safiyya found herself in where it all started. The accounting department!

They went past the workers sitting in the round working area and past the testing room. A large glass door was at the end of the corridor. At the top A20 was written. The door opened on its own and she was met with a wide room with several cubicles. Some were closed, blocking the outside view while others were opened. The workers were all in yellow-black, each working silently at their desks.

She watched Lando make a phone call and a woman walked out from a far-end office cabinet. She was middle-aged, wearing a black pencil skirt and shirt, her hair tied in a neat bun. 

Safiyya readied her heart for anything because this woman wasn't smiling or looking kind. She just hoped that the woman was soft from the inside. She arrived before them and studied Safiyya with her eyes. 

Lando laughed lowly and took a step back. "This is the girl I told you about. Take care of her," he said and whispered in Safiyya's ears. "Madam said that you can climb your way up here, so scaling here won't be hard. She just hopes you are not so childish to use someone…again," he raised his head and added to both hearing. "You are a good girl. So, do a good job,"

Safiyya heard him leave and that stupid threat she understood. The woman before her was Mrs. Gina, from her nameplate. 

"Welcome to the accounting department A20," she began. "I was told that you have quite some experience and should start working immediately. I hope that you can handle your work efficiently," 

"I will try my best ma'am," Safiyya nodded and handed her file. "This is my recommendation," 

Gina casually looked at the file and back to Safiyya's face. "I already got your recommendations. Now follow me," she said and turned around. 

Safiyya expected this, so she patiently went after Gina. They came behind a cubicle with an empty desk and she told Safiyya that it would be her working space. The other person was blocked off to prevent disturbance. 

"The documents I want you to work on will be brought shortly. Take your time to get familiar with the devices here," Gina said and walked away. 

Safiyya checked the place out. It wasn't big but accommodating. The system has an insignia of Hill Corp on it, sitting on the clear silver table. There were two drawers underneath it. Another machine she recognized as a scanner/printer was on the edge of the table. She pulled the chair out and sat down. It was comfortable. 

Safiyya read some dua and tapped the desk analysing what happened. If they go by formality, the accounting room she would be given should be higher than this because the exams she took were a higher one. If Mrs. Gina had looked at her recommendation, she would know what was happening but the woman just entered the mess herself. Irene wants to make Safiyya complain about the treatment she got which will give her the chance to belittle the young lady but Safiyya chooses to be calm about all this. 

Irene might control Lando and Gina but she can't control the higher-ups of the accounting department. She will let her worth known by scaling in her work. Irene might know that she was good but she doesn't know her depth. 

A worker soon came with a heap of documents and a flash drive on top, which inside was more work she had to accomplish before the end of the day. 

Safiyya inserted the flash drive into her system and she raised an eyebrow, seeing 15 files to be loaded. She sighed and dropped her iPad on the table. She pulled the first drawer and a light book and pen were there. Having gotten ready, she opened the first file on the table and read through it. She was surprised and checked the others quickly. A smile soon formed on her beautiful face. This was a miscellaneous task and it might be many for a beginner, not her. Someone good might take time arranging them but she had some experience in the filing office. She found herself thanking Irene in her mind. 

Safiyya almost chuckled there because this was a piece of cake. 

"Stop rejoicing and focus Safiyya. Simple things can be hard," she scolded herself and wanted to start when she heard someone clear their throat.