3. A Supportive Friend

Assalamu alaikum adorable readers. So I know you are expecting to know more of what is happening in SBM, our male lead is still missing. So I will be posting three chapters in a role. Show some support to the writer and get enthusiastic updates😁

💕💕
The apartment's door opened and a blonde lady in jeans and a black vest walked in with her jacket and bag in her hands. She loosened her ponytail and threw her things on the one-seater. Jessica opened the freezer and drank some cold water. Then she stopped...

Jessy turned back to the round cushion and her roommate was sitting with crossed legs with a helpless pout.

"I would have been frightened if you weren't a baby." She laughed and walked to the kitchen table where she saw her dinner kept. "You are such a sweet friend Sofiyya. Turns out that yesterday was the hotel's owner's birthday and he celebrated all night, so we had to work too. My phone battery got used up too so I couldn't call you. How are you doing?" She explained quickly and settled opposite Safiyya.

Safiyya glanced at her friend and shook her head. "This is the 24th day Jessy and still no positive result," she muttered sadly.

"That's bad," Jessy sighed sympathetically. "You are a smart girl Sofiyya and I believe in you. Those blockheads are stupid for letting go of such a gem like you and I am sure that they are going to regret it one day."

Safiyya hummed and said, "I don't want to reach a stage where I fall into their request Jessy."

"Then don't," Jessy said seriously. All this was pissing her off. She wasn't a Muslim but she sees no way that the hijab will stop a woman from working. Even as she extended a helping hand to Safiyya, they kept on rejecting her because of her hijab but she believed that if they gave Safiyya a chance, she would prove them wrong but that chance still hadn't come.

Safiyya nodded. "I guess if it persists I will have to go back home."

"And then what?" Jessy folded her arms in annoyance. "Going back home means proving those men right and destroying your mother's dream for you. They will get you married to someone you don't know or even love, Sofiyya." She pointed out and Safiyya lowered her head.

"Look," Jessy breathed out. "It hasn't been a month since you started this job hunt, so it's too early to give up. Come on girl power!"

"Girl power." Safiyya smiled back.

"I would have hugged you if I wasn't all sweaty." Jessy chuckled whilst getting up. "I will shower and meet you downstairs."

"Okay," Safiyya nodded and slumped deeper into the cushion. All these started from their graduation. Even Students who came out with second class were given job extensions, much less those with first class like her. But hers was taken away after an interview with an envoy.

Safiyya was in a situation between a deep sea and hell and she rather sink into the sea than dive into Jahannam. That wasn't what she wished for, so she chose to exercise patience. Tomorrow is another day.

Innallaha ma'al sabirin.

The next day, the two roommates got ready together. Jessy wore a blue T-shirt and jeans while Safiyya wore a white leather jacket over a blue dress and trousers.

"Typical Pakistani," Jessy gave Safiyya a side hug and they chuckled. "Good luck bestie. I have a feeling that today will change your life forever."

"I hope so," Safiyya smiled and adjusted her hijab. She will try again today with enthusiasm as always.

They left the apartment together and separated later.

11.30, Safiyya checked the time with a sigh. Before her, was a supermarket, her last stop for the day. She walked in and was met with the sectioned large mart. She applied for a job here online and having passed the test, the woman told her to come for an interview by 12.

Safiyya headed for the kids section and was amazed by the toys arranged on the shelves. She couldn't help but smile at the parents passing by with their kids, giggling and shopping.

As she was close to the Manager's office, a woman in her forties walked out. Safiyya sighted the name tag, 'Lopez' and recognized her immediately.

"Miss Lopez?" She called out politely and the woman turned around with a frown.

"What do you want?" The woman raised an eyebrow, clearly irritated.

Another one, Safiyya thought but still smiled. "I am Safiyya ma'am. We had an appointment today by 12."

Lopez looked surprised and eyed the young lady suspiciously.
"That girl is you? Are you sure you're not pulling a prank on me?" She asked incredulously. That smart, intelligent woman she was talking to is this...

"No ma'am. I was the one speaking with you. I have my files with me too," Safiyya explained.

"Hold it right there," Lopez raised her palm to stop her. "I might have been impressed yesterday but after meeting you, I will not accept it. I take back everything that I said."

Safiyya pursed her lips and returned, "I know you are disappointed by my dressing but it won't get in the way of my job."

"Oh really?!" Lopez scoffed, raising her voice that drew some attention. "I don't only have an issue with that stupid tent over your head but with you too. Not only are you a Muslim but that too a Pakistani. What a completion of a terrorist. Who wants to blow this store up?!"

Lopez's raspy voice and cruel words made Safiyya's eyes filled with tears. All this was pissing her off already.
"I came for a job interview ma'am and if you aren't willing to hire me, just say it. No need to insult my Deen nor my origin." She stated.

"Wow. So you know how to talk back huh?" Lopez laughed. "I will never accept you here, so just forget about it."

"I understand," Safiyya nodded and turned around.

"Hey!" The woman called out seeing that Safiyya was heading inside the store.

Safiyya turned around and said, "I am a customer now, or are you going to throw me out for that too?" If Lopez did that, then it was another issue that touched her rights.

Lopez harrumphed and walked away. Safiyya took a deep breath and ignored the others before walking deeper into the toy store. She found a quiet section before sitting on the ground and hugging her knees. The tears she had been holding started falling as she sobbed silently.

If Safiyya said she wasn't tired of this treatment then she was lying. Why won't she meet a kind soul someday that even if they will reject her application, do it kindly? Was this the way Allah chose to test her in this dunya?

Safiyya cried on the floor for more than five minutes when her phone rang. She wiped her face and saw that it was the aunt.

"Assalamualaikum, Aunt Touba?" She picked up the call and spoke.

"Safiyya how are you? Have you gotten the job yet or not?" Touba asked immediately.

"No aunt," Safiyya pouted, trying her best not to sniff.

"That will be an issue Safiyya because the immigration official just called more and if you don't get a job in 15 days then your visa will be withdrawn," Touba explained and Safiyya's eyes widened.

"Huh?"

How long can you endure a test?

Vote for SBM if you enjoyed it. Fi Amanillah💓