2. False Hope

Safiyya left the apartment and boarded a taxi. Sitting in the back seat alone, she read through the list she had in a paper of the companies she was checking out today, and hopefully, something good will come out, In Sha Allah.

The cab driver, who was an aged man gazed through the front mirror at the beautiful being in his car. It wasn't every day that he met a lady so calm yet intimidating.
"Miss is beautiful," He said honestly.

Safiyya went still before muttering a thank you with a frown.

"I didn't say this with any bad intentions miss." The driver quickly explained. "I woke up on the left side of my bed and never expected my first customer to be an angel. Even if other women flaunt their hair, you look more beautiful with your hair closed. No one can deny that."

Safiyya was surprised by his statement before smiling sweetly. "Jazakumullahu khair," she thanked him sincerely. With the harsh words she kept hearing every day, she didn't expect such sweet words in the morning.

"Huh?" The man scratched his head at the words. "I guess I'll take that as a thank you." He said and she chuckled.

The drive was not stifling for Safiyya today and she reached her first destination with ease.
"Goodbye good sir," she waved her hand at the man after leaving the car.

"Goodbye and good luck," The man waved back before driving away.

Safiyya took a deep breath and turned to look at the company. It was quite flourishing and she wondered how it would be if she worked there. She said her Bismillah before walking in.

Walking past the co-workers in the company, Safiyya had to keep her mind still from the weird glances she was getting. It was hard to ignore the downgrading looks all the time. She arrived at the reception and the man behind the desk raised his head.

"What do you want?" He asked unfriendly.

Safiyya forced a smile and told him, "I applied for a job as an accountant here…."

"So you are here for the interview wearing that?" He caught her short.

"I am here for an interview sir," Safiyya ignored his comment and said. Receptionists were supposed to be nice and here is one being rude to a client.

The man smirked and tapped his desk with his fingers. "I like your confident babe, and being such a Loli, you might get a job here if you dress like everyone else."

"Excuse me, sir," Safiyya raised her soft eyebrow. "Where is the interview?" She asked. That look showed him that it wasn't his job to ask her anything.

He snorted and gave her the directions. "Good luck babe and don't come back crying later because no one will sympathize with you." He said sarcastically.

"Thank you," she nodded and walked away. Return their harshness and stupidity with maturity. Don't be a nuisance like them. Patience. She sang in her mind.

Safiyya was the first applicant to arrive there, so she just sat and waited for the others. It was still early, and the others eventually arrived later but as she expected, no one was willing to sit with her. It was like they were scared of being jinxed.

Inside the office, a woman in glasses was checking the application papers with her partner when she came across Safiyya's papers. She hummed in admiration as she read through the great grades. A smile was blooming on her freckled face but it froze sighting the name; Safiyya Suraj Panhwar. She traced down to the religion and dampened even more.

"You gotta be kidding me," she growled and slapped her forehead.

"What's wrong?" His partner asked and she passed the file to him. He checked it out with a frown. "She's a Muslim and Asian too. Asians are good and her grades are more than what we are looking for. We can give her a chance." He suggested and the woman glared at him.