28. Long awaited reunion.

It has been two days since the system in the filing office stopped working and even with the complaint Gab and Safiyya wrote, nothing was done about it. Today was Friday and as early as 5:30, Safiyya and Jessy were already up. They sat on the bed as Jessy rubbed an ointment on Safiyya's hands, sometimes pulling the fingers.

Safiyya winced from time to time at the pain. Her fingers were already aching before but it became worse now in just two days of writing. Jessy looked like she would kill someone as she stared at her best friend's swollen fingers.

She finished and threw the tube on her bed.
"Okay, this is getting frustrating!" she huffed and folded her arms. Safiyya bit her lips and didn't reply. Jessy sighed and held her shoulders, "Look bestie. I won't listen to any reasoning anymore. This is too much. If they won't listen like this, there are many ways you can make them bend. Don't act like you haven't been to college before and act like an illiterate. No offense but you have to do something. You promised me that you will when it becomes unfair. Didn't you?"

Safiyya looked at Jessy's worried face and nodded. "I will do something about it,"

Jessy raised an eyebrow and scoffed, "You always say that girl. Swear by Allah and I will believe you,"

Safiyya smiled and said, "I swear by Allah that I will. Happy?"

Jessy smiled and stood up. "Let it take effect for a while before work time. I will order breakfast for us."

"Okay. Thanks love," Safiyya winked at her. Jessy rolled her eyes and went to pick up her phone.

Later, Safiyya took out her uniform and wore it, then stuck in a black skirt. She then added a black sparkling belt with it. After packing her hair and wearing her cap, she wore a white jacket over the uniform and then her black hijab, clipped with a silver hairpin. She looked at her fingers which had subsided a little exhaled. She needed to do something about this and since today was Friday, she was thinking of going to the masjid for Jummah, even if it meant sneaking out.

They both left for work and today Safiyya didn't start working immediately but rested while thinking of what to do. She had been hesitating but it seems she has to do it.

She didn't rush today and took her time arranging the files to be worked on today. When Gab arrived, Safiyya was still recording. The way she wrote was calm and steady. When she was tired, she picked the ones ready and started photocopying them. Later, she sat down and took out a juice box from her bag, sipping it slowly while reciting the prophet's salam in her mind.

Gab was surprised by the attitude but smiled inwardly and followed her lead. Even though she was the one doing most of the work, he had to go through some stress too. No one was fair to them.

It was noon now and Safiyya just finished saving the files she had concluded. Many were still waiting but she shunned them and went to Gab.
"Gab, can I get an hour break now?" she asked politely. Gab hummed and nodded. He chose to support any madness she was coming up with. Safiyya smiled and picked up her bag before rushing out of Hill Corp. She called Old Xav and he drove her to the same place. She didn't let him wait since she was probably taking more time.

As expected, the masjid was crowded today. It was one of Safiyya's best days this month. She got to join Jummah and meet other Muslim sisters. After taking a small walk to the main road, Safiyya glanced at her watch and saw that it was almost 1 p.m.

Old Xav told her that Joseph's school closed early on Fridays since it was the end of the weekend. A wide smile formed on her face and she stopped a cab. She knew the school and now finally had the confidence to go. She can't wait to see her son. It's been long.