Chapter 41 - Defiance

3rd Person

For Jedi, death was cause for celebration.

The end of something small, and the beginning of something larger.

A tiny stream of life... converging with the boundless basin of the force.

As the living force returned the energy of the dead, the cosmic force fed into conduits that created life anew.

It was the greatest honor one could be granted, succumbing to the great cycle.

And yet...

Adi POV

"NO!" 

My eyes snapped open.

My palm smacked the parched, fractured ground, and I flipped over... 

Confronted with murderous red, descending to ensure my death.

"NNNNNNNNNNNN!"

Instinct took over, and I rolled to the side, smearing my cloak in a filthy pool of my own blood.

"SSSSHHHHKKKSSSS!"

The Sith's saber missed, instead stabbing into barren earth. 

...The throbbing in my gut dulled. At the same time, my vision narrowed, darkening around the edges.

I leapt upright, focus temporarily subduing pain.

Astonished, and enraged, Opress unleashed a pair of alternating cuts from his large double-bladed saber.

"NNNNNNNN!" "NNNNNNNNNNN!"

I bypassed each of his slices, barely... by the tips of my head-tendrils, before desperately latching onto his lightsaber hilt right as he tried to bash my head with it.

"Rrrrnnnnnrrghh!" 

"CRASH!"

"Eugghhh!"

The Sith roared furiously, slamming me back into the ship's hull in an attempt to sever my grip.

I held fast.

"nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn."

The twin beams of red plasma buzzed with excitement, eager for bloodshed. Likewise, Savage Opress loomed over me, drooling animosity...

My gaze clashed with his.

We were now locked in a deadly struggle, and a series of flukes were the only safeguard preventing the burning blade from touching my flesh.

First, the explosive adrenaline pumping through my veins, granting me an extra boost of strength...

Second, the hull pressing against my back, as well as my low center of gravity. Combined, they both gave me incredible stability in contrast to my foe's slippery footing...

Third, a wider grip on the double-bladed lightsaber than my opponent, providing me with more leverage, as well as a wider, stronger form to push with...