Chapter 22 - Winner Takes All

Abby

I didn't know what to do or what to say to Ji-Won. I wanted to know the reasons why he made the bet with Chin-Hwa and was it all a farce. I wanted answers but I wasn't really sure if I wanted to hear them.

I started to make arrangements to move back to the States as I didn't want to stay anymore in Seoul. I had come to do what I was told to do and therefore it was time for me to go. I felt like I had overstayed my welcome.

I receive a call from Chin-Hwa on the Noona phone, asking me to give him a chance to explain.

"I'm sorry Noona," he said

"Whatever,"

"It wasn't supposed to happen this way,"

"And what way was it supposed to happen?" I said walking around my apartment packing items.

"Ji-Won wanted me to leave you alone because," he hesitated.

"Because what?"

"Because I wasn't being totally honest with you," he said.

"What do you mean?" I asked curiously.

"Ji-Won knew I was still seeing other women and he wanted me to leave you alone,"

"So you were still fucking around, huh?" I said getting upset. Not so much at Chin-Hwa, but at myself. I shouldn't have let my guard down with him.

"It's not like that, I figured you were just having a good time with me. You didn't want anything serious with me did you? You always blew me off when I was younger anyway,"

"I wanted to get closer to you at one point, but I didn't want to be just another woman you fucked," I said honestly.

"I didn't know,"

"You never took the time to find out."

"Well, maybe we can try again and....,"

"Not interested," I said quickly. I can see even though he had grown up, he still had a lot to learn.

"It doesn't have to be like that," he pleaded.

"I don't trust you anymore, it's over." I said. Silence filled the phone to the point I thought he had disconnected.

"I get it," he said, sounding defeated. "So Ji-Won won, huh?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"He won the bet. He said you two made love the other night and you confessed," I blushed. Ji-Won was so open about our connection, he was determined to win the bet by telling Chin-Hwa about our relations. I was flattered.

"Well, not in that order, but yes, I did," I admitted.

"I see. Well, there is nothing more that I can do. I will step aside and leave you alone," he said sadly.

"Thank you. I hope you find what you're looking for," I said, trying to give him a bit of hope.

"I found it already, but I just lost it as well." he said just before disconnecting the line.

I hadn't spoken to Ji-Won since the incident and I hadn't been to the shop lately either. He called me a few times during the week but I didn't answer. He left messages begging me to talk to him and allow him to explain, yet I couldn't face him just yet. I guess I was hurt by the fact that they had made a bet for my feelings. It made me feel as though the feelings that were being given to me by them, weren't real. They were just a facade in order to win. I knew Chin-Hwa could stoop low but why Ji-Won?

I had come to the office to complete a few things before I relocated back to the States. It would take me about a week longer to make all the arrangements but I will do what needs to be done in order to leave. As I walked in the office, the team looked concerned. I wasn't sure what was going on but something was, I could feel it. Mindi walked into my office as I sat down at my desk.