[Season 2] Part 12 - The Deal

"We cannot decide to love. We cannot force people to love us. There is no secret recipe, only love itself. And we are at its mercy - there is nothing we can do."

― Nina George, The Little Paris Bookshop

***

MIA POV -

"My name is Mia, I'm from Indonesia... I like playing guitar and singing," my voice was hoarse but I still continued, "Alya idolized me, but she's dead. And Marc..., he broke up with me."

Tears finally fell one by one down my cheeks. "He kissed me for the first time in the apartment kitchen, he once took me flying," I said. "250 km/h on a motorbike. We fly."

My voice trembled. My whole body was shaking, but I still tried to hold on. I took a deep breath.

"He accompanied me to meet Alya for the last time," I said. "After that we-"

My heart suddenly sank. Like being cut by a knife, I was hurt inside.

"We..., we did...," I bit my own lower lip, keeping my voice steady. But, I can not. I can't say. The memories are both too beautiful and too painful for me now. So I decided to skip that part, even though it felt almost impossible to forget.

Then, I swallowed my saliva slowly. "We want a boy. He wants it badly," I said. "But he broke up with me. He said I was a slut."

I covered my face with both hands while sobbing a little. Then I caught my breath.

"Continue Mia, if you're still up to it."

That's Doctor Cynthia. Her brown eyes looked at me seriously behind her square glasses, covering the slight wrinkles under her eyelids. Her black hair reached her shoulders in the booth, making her look 30 years old, even though her actual age was 44 years old.

She is a psychiatrist at my hospital too. I'm doing mental therapy―keeping my sanity straight.

We do this therapy once a month, because I've always daydreamed since I first came to this hospital.

The development? Almost nothing. I still cry when I have to mention Marc's name.

I raised my face and looked at Doctor Sintia who was sitting next to me carrying white paper on a mat to write down my progress. Meanwhile I was lying on my back in a special chair.

"2 weeks ago he came here," I said. "He asked me to come back."

Doctor Sintia was surprised while looking at me. "Is it true?"

I nodded. Then took a hard breath, then continued. "He said he had separated from his fiancé because he still loved me," I said. "Just―just like I separated from my fiancé too."

I lowered my face again, then wiped my tears.

"Now I will advise you as a friend, will you listen?"

I looked at him again.

"Go back to him, Mia," said Doctor Sintia. "Honestly, I'm worried about your condition. You're seriously depressed because of it. Even though we've had therapy many times, you've made little progress. I'm sure that if you get back with him, you'll be back to the way you were before."

"I'm not going back to him," I said. "I swear to God, I won't go back to Marc."

I never take my vows with God lightly. For me it is like a binder and a protector. Moreover, when I said it the first time, I was angry and hated Marc to death. So that's all I can think and say over and over again.

Doctor Sintia avoided it. "But what if God wants you to be together again?"

I raised my face.

"What if God really created you to be together?" she asked. Doctor Sintia looked at me straight.