Chapter 53

Warning: violence

Duke and I sit side by side in the back of the SUV. It's the last time we'll be doing this, or at least the last time we'll do this to our current destination. Today is the day that I cut ties with Rome. I simply have no use for him anymore. Besides, I upheld my end of the bargain. I got my father to hand over the title.

"Are you okay?" Duke asks softly.

"Yeah," I offer a smile. "Why?"

"You seem nervous," he says, eyes searching my face. "And you're never nervous."

"I'm fine," I insist. He frowns but accepts my answer, turning to look out the window.

I am a bit nervous, honestly. See the thing is, I know what Rome is capable of. I know about his temper and intelligence. And I don't want him to have the satisfaction of ending my family line.

That's why I brought my gun, just incase.

I hope I won't have to use it. I hope that Rome will be able to see my side of things. To see that I did, in fact, complete my end of the bargain. To see that he has no use in my life anymore. This internship has been good for Duke and I don't want to fuck that up for him.

The car stops outside the sleek office building and the driver opens my door. Just like every other day, Duke holds the front door open for me. And just like every other day, we post up in the lobby to wait.

"I started applying to colleges," Duke says quietly.

"That's great," I smile in response. "Anywhere in particular?"

"I've been looking at schools in the states, actually," he replies. "UCLA, Boston University, MIT, that sort of thing."

"Wait, what are you going to study?" I ask curiously.

"Engineering," he shrugs. "Now that my dad is out of the picture, I don't have to go into finance."

"I didn't peg you for a STEM kind of guy," I laugh lightly.

"Hey," he elbows me. "I'm graduating early for a reason, okay?"

"Okay," I hold my hands out in surrender.

"What about you?" he asks. "You looking at colleges yet?"

"A few," I shrug. "I got a few offers from some scouts."

"Anywhere you like in particular?" he asks.

"I need to stay close to home," I tell him. I need to be able to train with my father.

"So, New York," he says.

"I got an offer from Juilliard," I say, trying to bite back a grin. "A full ride, actually."

"Christ, Elle," Duke smiles brightly. "That's fucking awesome!"

"Thanks," I smile right back.

"My love," Rome's voice echoes in the lobby and I roll my eyes. It's not like I have to keep up the facade; I already told Duke the truth about us.

Nonetheless, I stand and meet him half way. His cocky smirk grows as he wraps his arm around my waist. He pulls me into a kiss; an obvious display of his dominance as a man. I play my part for the time being, no use in making his employees skeptical.

Once we separate, he leads me to the elevator. He hits the button for the top floor and I fold my arms over my chest. One of the reasons I'm so nervous is just how comfortable he's become in touching me. Kissing and groping and generally manhandling me. I can't tell if he's too playing the part or if there's any truth to the way he behaves.