Chapter 2

Between unpacking, hanging up posters, comparing schedules, and eating dinner, the evening goes by fast. Hannah and I each exchange our uniforms for some more fitting outfits; her in a denim skirt and low cut shirt and me in a tight fitting dress. The bell for curfew rang almost an hour ago and, as a prefect, I made sure each and every one of the freshmen were tucked into bed.

The greenhouse is only in use during the winter months. When it's warm out, it's just used for storage. It sits nearly half a mile from any of the other buildings on campus making it the best place to host parties.

Hannah and I walk through the doors at precisely 11:15, smiling. The space is filled with all of our classmates and even a few people from other grades. There's music playing and someone set up colored fairy lights. A keg and some half drank bottles of liquor sit in the back of the space and people dance in the center.

We go right to the back of the room. On the couch sits the rest of our little friend group. Ryan sits beside Akio Sato. Our very own artist that comes from Japan. Akio's parents are diplomats. He speaks eight languages and is responsible for most of the new murals at the school.

Next to Akio is Lina Meyer. Her family owns the German tech company Siemens. She's an all star track runner and can out drink every single one of us.

Last but not least is Prince Noah Erikson from Sweden. He's not the oldest child meaning he'll never take the throne and he utilizes this. He's a known troublemaker and is more than willing to take the fall when shit goes wrong.

"Hannah! Elle!" Lina shrieks, scrambling to her feet. She hugs both of us, leaning her body weight into it. Jeez, how much has she had to drink?

Lina and Hannah begin to fawn over one another. Giggling about summer flings and complimenting every inch of each other. I take the opportunity to sit on the arm of the couch beside Ryan. He holds out his cup and I gratefully take it.

"Nice haircut," I say to Akio, ruffling his newly shortened hair.

"Parents made me," he ducks out of my reach. "Speaking of which, how's your dad?"

"Shut up," I roll my eyes. He laughs at that.

I finish the drink in my hand and toss the empty cup to the floor. I take Akio's hand with a sinister grin. He narrows his eyes at me but stands nonetheless.

I lead him to the dance floor before releasing him. We dance together to the thudding bass. Swaying our hips and laughing. Hannah and Lina rush over to join us. We scream the lyrics of each song with minimal embarrassment. Noah and Ryan finally give in and approach with enough drinks for all of us.

I love nights like these. When I get to just be with my friends having fun. No worries about homework or rehearsal. Just the six of us dancing and laughing and drinking. I've been waiting the whole summer for a night like this.

"Who wants to blow this bitch and have some real fun?" Noah asks, shouting over the music.

"Like what?" Ryan shouts back.

Noah produces a silver lighter from his pocket. He flicks it open and the flame rises. He tilts his head, still grinning.

"I am not committing arson on our first night back!" Hannah exclaims in horror.

"I'm out," Lina agrees.

"Well?" Noah flicks the lighter closed, snuffing out the flame. I shrug; I'm game.

"Let's go," Akio nods towards the doors. I wave to the girls as I leave. They give disapproving looks but I ignore them. I have to narrow my eyes just to keep Noah in my sights as we venture into the night.