Chapter 16

I don't know how long I've been standing here. The plaque on the wooden door staring back at me. I have to go inside, I know that, but I can't get my feet to cooperate with me.

"Miss Ricci," the school doctor chirps, rounding the corner in the hallway. "What can I do for you?"

"I just-"

"Are you here to see Mister Erikson?" she asks, striding closer.

"Yeah," I nod slowly.

"Well, let's go then," she swings open the door. "I'm sure he'd love to see you."

"I don't know about that," I mutter, entering the infirmary anyway.

It smells like bleach in here, completely sterile. Curtained partitions separate each bed and nurses scurry between the injured students. I can hear him before I can see him. Loud, thundering laughter coming from three curtains away.

I take a deep breath and walk over. Akio is sitting at Noah's bedside. Their fingers are intertwined and Akio's face is a deep red. I clear my throat at the foot of the bed. Both of their attentions snap to me and I offer a hesitant smile.

"Hi."

"Why are you here?" Akio asks, jumping to his feet. He positions himself between me and Noah. As if he thinks I'll hit him again.

"I want to apologize," I reply, holding out my hands. "I brought gifts."

Akio grabs the box and lifts the lid. He looks from the contents to me and back before handing it over to Noah. He looks inside with equal trepidation but soon his whole face lights up.

"How did you get this?" Noah asks, meeting my eye.

"I have connections," I shrug.

By connections I mean that I called my sister, demanded to borrow her guard, and sent him on the jet to Sweden. He dropped everything off at campus about an hour ago. Noah's favorite chocolate from the tiniest shop in the mountains, two jars of lingonberry jam, and a whole bunch of pepparkakor.

"I really am sorry," I add, taking a step closer. "I didn't mean to hit you. I just- you scared the shit out of me."

"I know it wasn't personal," Noah waves his hand dismissively. "But, fuck, does it hurt."

"Are they giving you pain killers?" I ask curiously.

"Just Advil," Akio answers for him.

"Do you want something stronger?" I offer. I'm pretty sure Cat's guard hasn't gotten back on the jet yet.

"What?" Noah scoffs. "You offering?"

"Since when do you pop pills?" Akio asks.

I roll my eyes, "again, I have connections."

"I'll be fine," Noah shakes his head.

I nod and rock on the heels of my feet. I have no idea what to do. It's never been this awkward between us before. Like ever.

"This is stupid," Noah huffs, sitting up fully in the bed. "Stop being so weird, Elle. I forgive you."

"Really?"

"Really," he assures me. "Maybe you'll let me borrow that right hook of yours one day."

"Shut up," I shake my head, even as I'm smiling.

The curtain pulls back revealing Ryan, "hey."

"Ry guy," Noah grins.

"Where's my invite to the party?" Ryan chuckles, moving to stand at my side.