Chapter 12

The weekend. It feels like it couldn't possibly take longer to get here. But it's finally time.

We all sneak through the shadows of the trees. All of us meaning the whole group. Noah and Akio whisper to one another, hands clasped as we move towards one of the smaller gates only used by the maintenance crew. Ryan's talking to Lina about some guy that made her cry earlier in the week. He'll probably end up jumping the poor kid. Hannah stays at my side. She's afraid of the dark so when we sneak out late at night, she always finds her spot right next to me.

There's a taxi service that's willing to pick us up for the right price. A price we're always willing to pay.

It's waiting on the street just feet away from the gate. Flashing hazard lights signal to other cars to keep moving. We haphazardly fill the vehicle. There's not enough room for all of us so some people wind up on laps.

Hannah's in the front, already changing the music and chatting with the driver. Noah's got Akio on his lap, despite Akio's best protests. Lina is squished in the middle. And I settle myself onto Ryan.

It's one of those things that I don't think twice about. I don't think he does either. There's no space so the logical solution is to plant myself on his lap.

It's shit like this that makes people think we're a couple. Or that we should be.

"Mother fuck," Akio groans as the car hits a bump.

"You've started to get creative with your English curses," Noah chides.

"Shut the shit up," Akio rolls his eyes.

"That's not quite the phrase," I laugh lightly.

"Leave him alone," Ryan scolds. "No one has forgotten how awful your English used to be, Noah."

"I was a child," he's quick to defend himself.

"And I'm your boyfriend," Akio counters just as fast.

We all burst into laughter at that. There's really no way to describe what it's like when we're all together. An aura of warmth and friendship and something akin to love. It all melds together and settles in my chest. It keeps a smile plastered to my face and mind free from worries.

"We're here!" Hannah squeals from the front seat.

We climb out of the car like clowns at the circus, lightly tripping and tumbling yet holding each other up. The music of the bar is dulled with the door shut but colorful lights flash out of each window. There's a pretty long line today, easily two dozen patrons waiting. I stride right up to the bouncer, glancing over at my friends as I unbutton my jacket.

"Hiya, Pete," I smile flirtatiously at the man. "Miss me?"

His attention shifts away from the impatient customers. His eyes rake me from head to toe. He's not going to find anything different. Designer heels, the tiniest dress, perfect hair with perfect makeup to match. He finally meets my eye and smirks.

"I was wondering when you'd be back," he says.

"Here I am," I extend my arms wide.

"Looking beautiful as ever, my Italian gem," he chuckles.

"And yet I'm somehow still sober," I pout slightly. "Are you going to fix that for me?"

"Your little act doesn't work anymore," he shakes his head even as he opens the door for me. "But you're always a top priority here, Elle."

"Thanks Pete," I say brightly. I push up on my toes and kiss his cheek before waving my friends over.

The music is almost deafening in the bar. All of the students have returned from summer break. Whether it be college students, law students, even interns; the bar is packed.