{1} dreams can come true, but nightmares are dreams as well ☁️

Luna's P.O.V.

„Dear Sooha,

it feels like the last time I talked to you was yesterday. Maybe that's because I often think of you when I walk through the city and see teenagers laughing with each other. Maybe it's because I still laugh with you in my dreams. Maybe it's because we never got to laugh at our graduation.

Time used to pass by so quick. Sitting on top of your roof, playing cards while eating food we bought from the supermarket. Remember how you stole the pull-four-cards and thought I wouldn't notice? Well, I did. But seeing you giggle and kicking your feet mischievously - it was a cute sight.

I know you might never read this letter and that it's ironic that I am writing this now. In the past two years, I could have tried to write more letters to you, but I guess I was scared. Scared that that would have been our last chapter, ending with a letter. Wait, that rhymed, didn't it? Sorry, that's not the point, haha...

Sooha, I just hope you found your happiness. Wherever you are and whatever you do. And I hope you are not too far away, because I want to coincidentally meet you in the grocery store one day and laugh about the good old times. You deserve the world, and I won't ever forget that you were my world. You were not just my best friend, you were my sister and soulmate. I'm talking in the past tense since I want to start a new life. I need to start to make new friends and break through the walls I build around myself. I'll take our polaroid photos off the wall and put them a box. It's time.

Now, be happy, Sooha. I know that you didn't run away without saying goodbye for no reason, so don't feel bad.

Oh, and if you happen to come back, don't forget to bring our picture from Jeju Island! It's missing in my collection.

Goodbye, my dearest reindeer.
Sincerely,

Luna."

As I write down my name, a tear drops exactly on my initials. The with ink written letters turn into a black whole.
"Shit!"
I quickly take the paper and wipe the tears off my cheeks. With frustration and hope, I brush my fingers on the circle. I sigh loudly, taking my glasses off and throwing the paper on my desk. My hands run over my face in annoyance, but I try to keep calm and gather myself. The urge to break the window with a chair thrown out off it is growing. Slowly, I look down at the letter, my anger fading away as I notice something.
"Hmm... Well, maybe it's not too bad."
I mumble as I put my glasses back on, taking the letter with my hands and looking at the ink circle again. It kinda looks like a moon, which matches my name, obviously.
I take a deep breath, folding the letter in two and carefully putting it in an envelope. Instead of glueing it by licking the paper (I think it's a bit gross), I stick a neon walkman sticker on it. Sooha always wanted to have one. This wasn't exactly what she had in mind, but it's kinda assuring me that she is okay.
"Should I put a stamp and my address on it? Just in case she really happens to find the letter? Hmm... won't hurt, right?"
I take the final letter for Sooha, putting it in a little backpack as I walk out of my room. I'm going to the place Sooha and I met exactly twelve years ago. I want the letter to be in a place she liked. Maybe she might even find it there. With my new address on it, she might even show up at my door and...
"NO, stop Luna!", I hit my head, a little too hard as I now have to caress it in pain.
That's going to make a beautiful, sexy bump.

However, with this letter I'm ending the story of Sooha and I. No more hopes, no more sleepless nights. I need to let go and accept that she isn't coming back. I lived two years in the dark. But now, that I graduated two days ago, I want to start a new chapter of my life.

"Mom, I'm going to skate. Might come home a bit later.", I say casually, putting my converse and jean-jacket on.
It's Friday night and me hitting up the skating hall is like milk for the cereal. Busan is a pretty lively town, and save I must say. I never felt like I was in danger before. If, I'm in a very boring area of the city.
"Okay, honey. Don't forget - you're coming home before midnight!", she says as she's reading the latest Vogue magazine, wearing curlers and a cucumber mask.
I chuckle and throw the little backpack over my shoulders, running up to her and leaving a kiss on her head.
"Love you, mom. Oh, and tell me what happened in today's episode of Columbo!", I walk to the door.
"Oh, sweetie, they'll probably just run a replay again. Lately they're really missing out on some new content.", she looks up at our cute tube television, which we bought three weeks ago.
My mother got a salary increase, luckily. Now I can watch my favorite series from home and don't have to run to the cinema every week, which wasn't always possible because, well, that costs as well...
"Who knows, maybe they won't disappoint this time!", I shout before closing the door.

I walk into our garden, jumping on my white bike with my little flower basket. I'm very proud of it, because I got it on my 18th Birthday. As I start to ride, these memories flash my mind. My mother hasn't had it always easy after my dad passed away. We live in a world where woman are still looked down on. Where women are someone who need to stay in the kitchen. Yeah, 1988 women don't need to give a damn about what their husband says and can work independently, but still... In the journalistic branch, she sometimes hears comments like "Oh, that's the poor woman who lost her husband, right?", "Why are you working instead of finding a new husband?" or "Hey, I could be your new man!"
Idiots, right? They have no idea how hard it was for us. Not because it was a financial problem. We loved dad. I remember him from some childhood memories I still carry in my heart. And my biggest treasure is the polaroid camera he gave me before he died. He had cancer and knew that his day would come, so this is what he wanted me to have left of him. I'm forever grateful for his decision.

I'm driving down the 120th road, leading directly into the city. Even though I told mom I'm going to the skating hall, I'm actually heading towards the Eoddun Beach. In Korean, "eoddun" means "dark" or "darkness". Thanks to my mom I know that (she is born in Busan, but my dad was from Boston). I'm not sure who decided to give a beautiful beach such a creepy meaning, but to me it doesn't really matter. If tonight wasn't the night I wanted to forget about Sooha, maybe I would want to remember the day we first met.

The wind is cold and blows against my face. It's early spring and these days, the sun takes longer to set, yet it's not warmer. My scarf waves around, making little circles in the air. These small things bring sparks of joy to my life, like sugar to a cup of tea. It remembers me that dreams can come true. That I will be able to find my happiness one day. But...

...the dangerous thing is, that nightmares are dreams as well.

—————————————————————————
~1255 words
heyyy, my dear readers!

This is my first chapter of the "Chapters with Bloody Letters" series. I sincerely hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

I'll try my best to be active by posting new chapters every two weeks. Therefore I'll try to write around 1000-3000 words each chapter...
That being said, stay tuned! ;)

Love,
your author 🫶🏻