Chapter 8 - Battle for Land - Part 1 - The Ongix Assault

After some days of traveling, the squad made their way down a worn path leading into the heart of Choyo village. As they entered, the sight that greeted them was one of desolation. The villagers, their expressions hollow and filled with sorrow, bore the weight of their suffering visibly. The once-decently large village now appeared in terrible shape, with rocks and pieces of ancient buildings scattered around

Niel couldn't help but grit his teeth in anger at the sight of the suffering people. Walking ahead, Kaito noticed Niel's reaction before becoming aware of something else – the villagers were whispering, and their gazes were fixated on him without relenting.

As the rest of the squad noticed the strange attention, a villager pointed at Kaito, screaming accusations. "He's the spawn of the Devil!! He carries the black symbol of death!! He's come here to finish us off!" The villager shrieked, pointing to the black circular symbol on Kaito's forehead.

Confusion filled the air as children ran away, and people began pelting rocks at Kaito.

"Everyone, please stay calm! We are here to help," Kaito pleaded. "This symbol is a tribute to the hero of legend from the past..."

Despite Kaito's explanation, the townspeople ignored him, continuing to yell and throw objects. Through the chaos, a village elder emerged, cautiously approaching them.

"Please, follow," he said, leading them away from the commotion and into his office.

Gathered in the room, the elder took a seat behind his desk. "Now, answer me this, what brings you to Choyo village at this time of crisis and especially wearing that crest."

Stepping forward, Kaito responded, "We've come here to help you recover from the damage throughout the village. We are willing to stay as long as needed."

The elder, after a moment of contemplation, agreed. "I had assumed either the Aladon or Ongix Kingdom would take action to try to gain our trust. Very well..."

Ryota inquired about the mysterious circumstances. "What exactly transpired here? The debris couldn't have been brought here from a storm; we didn't see a single piece when we were on the way here."

Sighing, the elder hesitated before revealing, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you, but... It was a large hole that seemed like an infinitely empty black void... it appeared in the sky over the nearby mountain."

The squad stood shocked at the revelation.

"A large empty void," Niel thought, stunned.

"And it just appeared out of nowhere?" Kaito questioned.

The elder nodded, confirming Kaito's inquiry.

"In that case, we'll get started right away," Kaito declared. As he turned to leave, the elder offered a warning.

"But I'd recommend you, specifically you, shouldn't show yourself to the public around here. People will fear you."

"I've noticed," Kaito replied with a disappointed tone.

"I apologize for circumstances, but some cannot let the past go," the elder explained.

Kaito looked down for a moment before addressing the squad. "Everyone, be prepared to stay here for about a week or two as we help. Ryota will now be in charge of this operation as I will not even be able to help, let alone show my face. I'll be leaving the village for a while, gathering information on this 'Black hole.'" With a final glance at everyone, he said, "Good luck to you all." With that, he vanished into thin air.

"So fast," Niel murmured in awe, his gaze lingering on the spot where Kaito had disappeared.

Ryota turned around to face everyone, his voice firm and authoritative as he outlined their tasks for the day. He assigned specific duties to each member of the team, ensuring that every aspect of their mission to assist the village was covered efficiently. As he spoke, his instructions were clear and concise, leaving no room for confusion.