Chapter 4 - Sacrifices in the Shadows of Bloodbound

Five knights knelt before a King, the atmosphere tense within the grand throne room. The king, seated on his throne, looked down at  them with a steely gaze, his head resting on his fist

"We've received word that a nearby town is engulfed in flames. We seek your permission to intervene and aid the villagers," a male knight spoke, his voice resolute despite the gravity of the situation and his eyes fixed on the ground.

King Oroth considered their request, his expression unreadable. "My knights, natural disasters are a constant. They will endure," he pronounced, his tone firm and unwavering. "Leave it be."

The male knight's eyes widened in disbelief, his sense of duty clashing with the king's decree. He abruptly raised his head. "If we could save even one person, it's better than sitting idle while people suffer!" he burst out, unable to contain his frustration.

His fellow knights stared in shock, their expressions a mix of surprise and concern. The knight who spoke covered his mouth, realizing the gravity of his outburst as he slowly met the king's piercing gaze.

King Oroth's eyes narrowed, a sense of pure fear and a dark energy radiating from him. "Are you speaking against me, Kaito?" he inquired, his voice laced with a threatening edge, still leaning on his fist.

Kaito, the knight in question, lowered his gaze, sweat trickling down his brow. "My apologies, King Oroth," he muttered.

"With all due respect, sir," a voice rang out from another knight, —a woman sporting short hair in the front and a lengthy ponytail at the back, accentuated by a pair of glasses, stands up. "This event is within our reach; we could handle the matter swiftly."

King Oroth closed his eyes briefly. "You won't need to venture for a mere fire; it would be a waste of time," he asserted, his tone final. "People die every day; you must use your time wisely."

She pressed on "Yet we must also consider the impact on our reputation and alliances; this will also affect you," she argued.

"How so, Yukiya?" King Oroth inquired.

Yukiya pushed up her glasses, meeting the king's gaze directly. "If word spreads that we refused aid to a town in need, it could tarnish not only your reputation but that of Aladon," she explained calmly.

King Oroth sighed heavily, thinking about implications. "Very well," he relented, his tone begrudging. "But due to Kaito's insubordination, he is hereby temporarily relieved of his duties as leader of the Sky Knights of Aladon."

Kaito's eyes widened in shock, a mixture of disbelief and regret washing over him. "But, my king!" he protested, his voice filled with desperation.

The king silenced him with a steely glare. "If you desire a harsher punishment, I'm more than willing to oblige," he stated ominously.

Kaito bowed his head, a drop of sweat trickling down his temple. "No, sir," he replied, his tone subdued.

Turning his attention to the remaining knights, King Oroth addressed them. "I'll allow one of you to proceed to the village," he announced, his gaze settling on another male knight. "Rokuro will go to the town to help extinguish the fire."

Rokuro's grin widened eagerly as excitement surged through him. ("Finally, some damn action!") he thought, feeling pumped up

Meanwhile, Kaito looked up at Yukiya and silently mouthed the words "Thank you." She nodded in acknowledgment, and they were all dismissed from the throne room. As soon as the heavy doors closed behind them, Rokuro couldn't contain his excitement.