Chapter 8: Sunday Mornings

Bright Sunday morning with clear blue sky, surrounded by her precious children, of course it will be another perfect way to start off the day for Niu, much better than yesterday. Now the four of them are enjoying their breakfast together as they are talking about yesterday and planning about today's activities. As usual, Heng and Jieru are the most excited one in this early conversation, putting aside that they just woke up few minutes ago. All of them want to spend the entire day and night together like there is no tomorrow.

"Let's go fishing today!" Heng suggests excitedly in the middle of their planning.

"Let's go!" Jieru follows right after while Shoi-ming as the eldest sibling just nods and smiles to agree with the suggestion.

Seems to be a boring activity but it's actually so relaxing and all of them enjoy it. The pleasant lake view along with the wind breeze around is enough to make such a relaxing atmosphere for them. Afterall, they all prefer this way, spending time by talking and accompanying each other. Just to be present is actually enough.

"It's settled then. I'll prepare the things with Qiu. You guys take some rest before we spend the whole day outside. Sounds good?" Niu answers and the children cheer excitedly right away. However, after that cheer, Jieru looks down at her plate.

"If only father could join us today..." She mumbles with her saddening face. Hearing that, obviously it draws everyone's attention to the dining table and the mood changes a little bit. On the other hand, actually Niu hides the fact that her children will come. In the matter of fact, knowing or not, Quan will put his work as the priority anyway. That's why she chose not to tell him about their children's visit.

"I'm sorry that father got some extra errands for this week, sweetheart." Niu replies and tries to reach her hand out to caress Jieru's soft hand. That doesn't count as lying. It's true that Quan has some work to do there since he needs to catch up on a lot of things there as a consequence of taking his boss' offer. Thankfully, her furrowing face doesn't last that long as Jieru looks up with a smile on her face. A genuine one that she accepts already.

After that, just like what Niu told them to do, Jieru and Heng get into their rooms to get some rest while she and Qiu are preparing their needs for today's agenda. In the middle of that, suddenly Niu notices that Shoi-ming who is nowhere to be found. Hence, she tells Qiu to continue making the fish bait while she is gone looking for his eldest son. It doesn't take long because Niu still remembers where Shoi-ming usually goes whenever he wants to be alone. Correct, the backyard field with his body leaning forward on the fence, getting mesmerized with the view.

"Smart head business?" Niu says and softly taps on his shoulder then stands up beside him. Shoi-ming turns his head for a bit then gets back to the previous spot.

"Nothing, Mom." He chuckles and replies casually. However, Niu just knows her children so well that she will get it in no time whenever they try to hide something.

"You know I can read you like an open book, right?" Tries to convince him once again and of course, Shoi-ming's walls are not that strong whenever it comes with his own mother. Hence, he just sighs with a defeated smile and shakes his head lightly.

"Just no matter how many times I try not to think about it, it still haunts me down even to my sleep, Mom..." Straight telling his thoughts right away which Niu knows exactly what she is referring to.

"Well... everything seems to be just fine, my dear. I don't know what else I can say but I'm completely fine. It's true sometimes whenever he gets back home, he will yell or get angry at me but thankfully he doesn't attack me. Physically." She replies, emphasizing the last word.

"How often is he like this again? Leaving you alone here with Qiu?" This time Shoi-ming's voice sounds more intimidating and coupled with irritation. Hearing that, Niu understands right away how worried he is toward her.