Chapter 5: Two Sides

Next morning, both Quan and Wuying are now sitting in the dining room to eat their breakfast that has been prepared by the housemaid namely Hui. It's still early in the morning but Quan looks already busy with himself. His right hand is for digging his food while the other one is for checking and replying through his phone. On the other hand, the person who is sitting across from him is doing something familiar but her phone is used for watching some random entertaining videos. After done with his work, Quan can finally put down his phone and focus on his breakfast and his sister.

"Wuying." Quan calls her to break the silence in the room and takes Wuying's attention.

"Hm?" Wuying only responds with a hum without bothering herself to look at him.

Before proceeding to ask a question that he has been wondering for, Quan stops for a moment. Thinking that this topic may make her upset, he doesn't want that to happen. On the other hand, he still needs to ask this since Wuying is already at that age, to be more precise almost passing that phase. She even mentioned her age yesterday so it should be fine, right?

"Are you in a relationship with someone now?" Quan manages to gather enough courage to ask that question. Wuying is already in the phase where she needs to be in a serious relationship that leads into marriage. This is one of the problems that keep Quan's mind busy with.

"Mhm." Without a second thought, Wuying replies immediately even though her eyes are still on her phone. What an unexpected yet pleasing answer from his sister that can lift up the pressure on Quan's chest in an instant.

"Thank goddess..." Quan says and loudly lets out a sigh of relief.

"Who is it? What's his name? What does he look like?" Asking with that bright face as he can't hide his excitement, knowing that his beloved little sister is going to marry someone and start her own family. Of course, Wuying doesn't expect such a reaction which makes her look at him weirdly.

"Wow... Wow... Wow... chill, Gege. What makes you like that?" Wuying replies as she tries to swallow her food first.

"Well... you know that I've been thinking about the time you're going to get married!" Quan exclaims his happiness with that ear to ear smile. Meanwhile Wuying can't return the expression as bright as his. It's actually quite the opposite since she looks at her brother weirdly from top to bottom.

"Ahaha..." Is the only thing she manages to let out which is laughing nervously along with avoiding eye contact with her brother. Obviously by getting that reaction from Wuying, Quan raises one of his eyebrows. Finally, his sense tells him something is off about the way she reacts to it.

"You didn't... lie to me, right?" Quan asks hesitantly and it makes Wuying to look at him immediately with widened eyes.

"Why would you accuse me like that, Ko? You don't trust me anymore?" Instead of giving an answer, Wuying attacks back first with sharp eyes. Totally looks like she is offended by what Quan just said to her.

"Noo! Of course, it's not like that, Wuying! I'm just–" Quan replies immediately with a panicked voice and shakes his head. Seems like knowing this is going to happen, Wuying takes this chance to turn the table.

"Ugghh! Whatever! You're such a boomer." Wuying says and rolls her eyes in annoyance as she stands up from her seat, heading to leave the room.

"Wuying, I'm–" When Quan tries to stop her, Wuying is already opening the door and slams it right after. These are the things that Quan always tries to avoid, to make his little sister get mad at him, especially this early in the morning.

"Hah..." Quan closes his eyes tightly while letting out that heavy sigh, "I shouldn't have done that..." Another pressure of guilt hits him.

On the other side of the room, in the house's backyard where Wuying is standing right now, she completely looks terrified and panicked. The feeling of uneasiness gets into her nerves as she walks around, circling the room, thinking about something other than what her brother asked her before. A marriage.