Chapter 4: Opportunity of a Lifetime

"Alright. Please take care of the house and Wuying while I'm gone, Xiao. I'll come here once a week as always since I still have my working contract in Lijiang." Quan messages toward his younger brother, the fourth sibling of Bèi's family.

It's the day after the funeral and burial, Quan and Niu are bidding goodbye to the family. Quan said that he needed to escort Niu back to their house in Ziyang. Pure care of a husband toward his wife? Fingers crossed it is truly like that. However, if it's something else, it doesn't matter for Niu anyway. She was already way too far from getting used to the way he treated her over these years.

"Of course, Gege. You can rely on me!" Xiao says with full of confidence and a wide smile on his face. Done with his younger brother, Quan turns his head toward the youngest, Wuying. Just the usual, Wuying looks at him with teary eyes and puts on that saddening face as if she is telling him not to go. Quan approaches her with open arms and she will trap herself inside of it right away.

"Uuu.. Gege.. I don't know if I can stand to live in this house anymore.. Mom is not here.." Her tears start to come out again as she is tightening the hug with her brother. The fourth brother scoffs seeing this lovely moment while Niu just stares at them expressionless.

"There.. There.. You shouldn't say that, Wuying. You need to let her go so Mom will rest in peace up there, okay?" Quan says with his soothing voice and gently caresses her back. Hearing that, Wuying slowly breaks the hug and brings her face up to look at Quan.

"Promise not to leave me?" She asks and raises her pinky finger. Seeing his beloved sister acts like a five years old kid, Quan can't help but chuckle and link his pinky finger with hers.

"Promise." When Quan accepts it, a smile forms on Wuying's face as she brings herself to hug him once again with her head on his right shoulder.

"Thank you, Gege! You're the best!" She exclaims happily with that big grin on her face. But her smile quickly fades away when her eyes meet another smile that is forming on someone who is standing behind her brother. Again, that indescribable smile is there, on Niu's face. Seeing that coming from her, it gives her chills to freeze all over her body until Quan pulls away from the tightened hug.

"Alright." Since Quan already broke the hug, she can no longer look at the person who is standing behind her brother, "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"O.. okay.." Wuying stutters with her own words. With that being said, the two of them bid goodbye to Wuying and Xiao one last time before getting in their car and heading to the train station. Once they are not in sight anymore, Wuying finally can let out a relieved sigh that somehow she has been holding on for the past few minutes.

"Nice acting back then." Xiao whispers right next to her ear with a teasing voice. It's close enough to make her feel his breath on it which makes Wuying startled in an instant.

"Shut your mouth! Aish..." In response, Wuying yells toward his brother and lets out a sigh of frustration. Suddenly that sad face can no longer be found as she looks completely irritated right now. Not only irritated but also annoyed because of just one particular reason. Irritation is because she is going to live alone in this house with the housemaid and feeling disturbed because of Niu's smile toward her.

"Eehhh? Where did all those tears go? Whoopsie." One last tease from her brother and gets his face closer to hers.

"Fuck off!" Can't stand her brother's behavior, Wuying once again yells angrily at him and tries to punch his face. However, Xiao steps back quickly then rushes back to get inside the house while still mocking her on the way there.

"Ugh! That piece of shit good for nothing!" Once again, another yelling comes out from Wuying to let out her anger.

Even though she knows well that Quan will always listen to every word she says, Niu's smile always makes her shiver. To calm herself down, she takes out a pack of cigarettes from her pocket then takes one out of it. This is the side that Wuying never shows toward Quan and her mother. The one and only most opposite side from her appearance, the way she talks and behaves around them.