Chapter 3 : Best of Luck

**2012**

Today is Shou-ming's day where I need to bid goodbye to Shou-ming for quite a long time. Last month was his high school graduation and now he is going to continue his education in one of the well known universities, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China. Fortunately, Quan wants to give some money to him even though it's still not as much as Wuying back then when she was in college. Of course, I won't stay put by his action as I also give some extra from mine.

"Please be careful out there, Dear. Always eat well and take care of yourself." I bid goodbye to him with the heavy weight on my chest.

"I will, Mom. I promise that I will never let you down." Shou-ming replies and puts his bags on the floor first before hugging me.

"You know I'm always so proud of you, right? You are one of the biggest blessings in my life, including your younger siblings." Even though my voice starts cracking, I'm trying my best to hide it as I return his hug.

"Yeah.. Thank you for always believing me, Mom." He says, trying to ensure me by caressing my back gently. The hug doesn't last as long as what I needed because Shou-ming needs to catch up with his train. With that being said, he slowly loosened his arms.

"Alright. Gotta go." Shoi-ming says when he pulls himself from the hug and gives me his biggest smile. After that, he turns around to face his siblings who are standing behind him.

"Come on. It's your turn guys." He says and steps aside in order to let the others get closer to me. The two of them immediately hug me together as Heng is on my right side while Jiuri is on the other one.

"Please take care of yourself, Mom." Heng says and strengthens his hug. His voice is still steady but he is a lot more emotional than his older brother. It's all showing from the way he hugs me.

"We will miss you so much, Mom.." This one is Jieru as she already started sobbing from the beginning. Must be hard for a ten years old daughter to live far away from her parents. Not only losing her parents but she also needs to adapt with her new friends later. Seeing and hearing these two are enough to push me into the edge. However, I need to get myself together so they will leave without feeling worried.

"I will, Heng. I will. I promise. Mom always misses the three of you guys." Trying my best to answer them with a steady voice even though my throat is already tightening. Last day, the day where I'm not only losing one of my blessings but all three of it. This is my decision and I'm the one who suggested it at the beginning to them.

According to their year difference between Shoi-ming and Heng which is six years, Shoi-ming is not the only one who graduated last month. Heng also graduated from his elementary school while Jiuru is still sitting in fifth grade. We already discussed it two months ago and they agreed with it eventually. Even though they look like they disagree with it, Shoi-ming seems to successfully persuade them to agree with my suggestion.

Our group hug gets interrupted by the announcement from the train station. That's it. That's the final call to bid the very last goodbye for them. Even though I know this is not our last moment and still can meet them again, it's just too hard to live without them being by my side, especially when I'm going to take this path.

"Alright," Slowly breaking the hug, "Please don't fight with each other, okay? Behave and study well. Remember all of the things that I have thought of." One final reminder for the three of them as they nod their heads immediately for response.

The first one to kiss the back of my hand is Jieru because she is the youngest and after that Heng will follow from behind until lastly is Shoi-ming. Before accepting our goodbye gesture, he just stands there and stares with his watery eyes into mine. Knowing exactly how he felt at this moment, overwhelmed, and probably overthinking about responsibility to take care of his younger siblings, I open my arms for one last time. Even though he is already eighteen years old, every child must have this soft spot with their parents as Shoi-ming hugs me warmly.