Find You A Girl | Dawson Mercer

#91, Center for the New Jersey Devils
Word Count: 2.6 K

*Side note, we're gonna pretend the guys are older, like late-20s and that Fabian still plays in Jersey*

"You could find you a girl on a Friday night
Dancin' in the back of the bar
A Sunday morning, hands up high, singing front row in the choir
You could find you a girl through a friend of a friend
Or she could show up right out of the blue
It doesn't matter where you find her
Just as long as you"
- "Can't Have Mine (Find You A Girl)," Dylan Scott

Dawson's POV:

"I'm telling you, it was insane."

"Yeah, yeah." I roll my eyes at Jesper.

His eyes light up and he stands, waving to someone. "Y/N!"

I glance over my shoulder and see a girl walking towards us, all grins. "Jesp! Hey!" She hugs my teammate with a big smile. "It's been a while since I've seen you, how've you been?"

"Good, good." He nods and pulls her down to sit in the seat next to his. "Y/N, these are my teammates. That's Nico, Miles, Nate and Timo."

"Nice to meet you guys."

I'm not gonna lie, this girl is really pretty. And she seems really sweet. It sucks that she seems to be really into Jesper.

We all talk for a little bit before Y/N drags Jesper onto the dance floor. I try to distract myself by talking to the guys, and Timo ends up telling us a story about back when he lived in Sweden.

When Jesper gets back, Y/N is nowhere to be found. I raise a brow. "Where'd your girlfriend go?"

He laughs. "First, not my girlfriend. Hilarious that you thought that, though. Second, she got called into work. Something about an important surgery needing her help." He shrugs.

"Surgeon, huh?" Miles nods, impressed. "I've never known someone that smart."

Jesper laughs again. "She is smart. One of the best ortho surgeons on the east coast, even though she's only been doing it for a couple years. That's why they called her."

"Hey."

We all glance up to see Fabian, one of our other teammates. Everyone greets him except Jesper and I raise an eyebrow questioningly. This isn't the first time I've noticed Jesper snub Fabian since we started playing in Jersey.

Fabian takes a seat on the other side of Nico, joining in one the conversation.

We're all talking about the upcoming season when all of our phones start going off. I'm the first to check mine and see a text from Coach saying that Jack Hughes, one of the guys on the team who was on the way to meet us, has gotten into an accident and is in surgery now since he broke his leg.

"Shit."

- - - - -

Y/N's POV:

"The surgery went well, he's in post-op now. It'll probably be a few weeks into the season before he's cleared to play, but everything should be good." I explain to the hoard of players and coaches filling up the waiting area.

"Thank you. Really." Jesper tells me meaningfully, eyes filled with gratitude. I know Jesp is pretty close with Jack, so I'm glad I was able to be the one to operate on him tonight and make sure everything went as smooth as possible.

"Of course. If anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to answer them." No one responds, so I take it as my cue to leave.

I'm in the middle of filling out some paperwork about Jack's case when my phone buzzes with a text.