Friends Don't | Trevor Zegras

#11, Center for the Anaheim Ducks (#13, Forward for Boston University at the time)
Word Count: 2.6 K

"They don't cancel other plans
Have conversations with nothing but their eyes
They don't hear each other's names and forget to concentrate
Hits a nerve and lights you up like dynamite"
- "Friends Don't", Maddie & Tae

"What are you up to tonight?" Trevor asks through the phone.

I shrug. "Don't know yet. Probably school. I really need to work on that." I shoot a look at the stack of textbooks covering my desk. I've been putting off homework for hours now, and I'm going to have a lot to do all at once.

"Can we do something together, instead of you holing up in your dorm with your textbooks?" He begs.

"No can do, Z. I have a lot to do tonight." I admit.

"Have you been procrastinating again?" He asks with a knowing tone.

I groan. "Damn you, Zegras. Why do you have to know me so well?"

He laughs. "I just do. Come on, can I at least hang out with you? I can keep you focused."

I roll my eyes. "No, you would distract me. You know damn well that I don't get anything done when you're here. And I'm serious, Z. I can't hang out right now. I need to prioritize better." I gulp as tears of embarrassment well in my eyes. I hate that I've put myself in this position.

"Y/N?" Trevor asks when he hears my sniffling. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I croak out.

"I'm on my way." He hangs up and I sigh. Of course Trevor has to come and take care of me. He wouldn't be Z if he didn't.

Less than a minute later, the door to my dorm room opens and Trevor slips in. "C'mere." He mumbles and sits on the bed, pulling me into his arms. I bury my face against his chest as my body heaves with my heavy sobs.

"Please don't do this to me. You know how much it hurts me to see you like this." He whispers and holds me tight. "I know you're not okay, and that's fine. But you need to be honest with me about how you're feeling. And you need to not be so hard on yourself."

I nod as he gently strokes my hair, trying to calm myself down. I'm crying so hard, though, that I can barely breathe.

"Hey, hey. Listen to me. Try to breathe with me, okay?" He waits for my nod before starting to take deep, calm breaths. Trevor holds me as I try to match my breathes with his, my tears slowing.

After a couple minutes, I'm not hyperventilating anymore and I've almost stopped crying. Trevor brushes his thumbs under my eyes to wipe away my tears and gently lifts my face so I have to meet his eyes. "What's going on?"

"I don't wanna talk about it." I mumble.

He shakes his head. "You need to talk to me, sweetheart. I know you, and I know how hard you are on yourself. And when it's been a while since you've truly relaxed. . . you have a breakdown like today. And that isn't healthy, you know that."

"Stop talking." I snap and stand, walking away from him.

Trevor sighs. "Don't do this. Don't shut down on me."

"I'm not shutting down." I mutter and take a seat on the bathroom counter. "I'm being realistic. You've been drafted, and after this season, you're going to Anaheim. I'm not going to have you anymore. I'll have to deal on my own. So, I have to prepare myself for that."

"For what? I'm still going to be here for you. You have an anxiety attack, you call me. It's not that different."

"Things will be a lot different." I whisper, ducking my head.