Not Me (Part Two) | Luke Hughes

#43, Defenseman for the University of Michigan, Drafted to the New Jersey Devils
Word Count: 3.1 K

"I—the girl, she's you. You're the girl, okay? I'm sorry for kissing you, it's just—" he shakes his head. "I meant everything I said to you. You're amazing, and smart, and beautiful. But you have a boyfriend. I'm sorry for disrespecting that." He tells me, taking a step back.

"Luke, I—"

He shakes his head. "I'm gonna go. I've already done enough. I'll see you later." He turns around and practically disappears, he leaves so fast.

I press a shaking hand to my lips, still feeling that tingly sensation I felt when he kissed me. Why have I never felt that with Tyler?

- - - - -

"She wants to get married, she wants it perfect
She wants her granddaddy preachin' the service
She wants magnolias out in the country
Not too many people, save her daddy some money
Ooh, she's got it all planned out
Yeah, I can see it all right now"
- "Marry Me", Thomas Rhett

Luke's POV:

I stare at the paper in front of me, still not being able to move. Holy hell. Who's idea was this? Because I know Matty can't be happy about it.

I grab my phone and immediately dial his number. It's been a couple months since we last saw each other, but that doesn't mean anything. We're still as close as always, especially considering that he knows how I feel about his cousin. He's on Team Luke, too.

"You get it, too?" He asks with a sigh.

"Yeah. What the hell, man? When did he propose?"

"I don't know. But I'm not happy about this. He didn't even consider asking her favorite cousin for his permission. Rude." (I like to imagine this in Mitch Marner's voice after Morgan Reilly insults him in the video where the Leafs are calling each other out 😂)

"Why did she even invite me, Matty? I mean, I know it's been five years, but I'm still the guy who kissed her when she was in a relationship. With the same man who she's now engaged to marry. That's gotta be hella awkward, you know?"

"I know, bro. But you hung out with her and Tyler the rest of the year. You spent time together all the time, just acted like nothing happened between the two of you."

"But this is different. This is her promising herself to him for the rest of her life, with me standing right there. I can't imagine she's okay with that. Not if she knows it's gonna hurt me, you know?"

"Yeah. I'll talk to her, see what's going on. She doesn't know that I know, obviously, but I'll give her a nudge, try to see where her head is at. Don't worry about it, alright? Just focus on hockey right now. Playoffs are right around the corner, and things are looking pretty good for the Devils."

"Thanks, man. I'll talk to you later."

He says bye before hanging up, and I toss my phone onto the counter, still frustrated. Is she trying to rub this in my face? Trying to prove something? 'Cause, fuck, this hurts.

I pick my phone back up and type out a text, sending it before I can second-guess myself.

Me:
congrats

her 🥰:
thank you. I'm sorry, Luke. I didn't want to hurt you, truly

I don't bother answering. She knew how I would feel when I saw this, but she still sent it anyway. What else can I do? I mean, it's not like I still have a chance anymore. She's getting married. It's time that I move on, I guess.