Anyone | Nico Hischier

#13, Center for the New Jersey Devils
Word Count: 2.2 K

"Dance with me under the diamonds
See me like breath in the cold
Sleep with me here in the silence
Come kiss me, silver and gold
They say that I won't lose you, but you can't predict the future
So just hold on like you will never let go
Yeah, if you ever move on without me
I need to make sure you know"
- "Anyone," Justin Bieber

"There was an accident, and—"

I'm out the door before Dawson can even finish his sentence. I'm gripping my keys tightly in my hand as I sprint to my car. I need to get to her now. "Where?"

Dawson gives me the location of the crash and I'm speeding off in that direction. Y/N's not far from me, and I hope I can get to her in time to check on her.

I see flashing blue lights and curse. I can't get pulled over right now. I need to make sure she's okay.

I pull over, though, not wanting to get in further trouble for running from the cops.

"Excuse me, sir, do you realize how fast you're going?"

I duck my head. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to make excuses, but my wife has been in a car accident and I was trying to get to her. I should have been more careful, but I'm scared she's not okay. I don't know what's going on, all I know is that her brother was with her." I explain.

The officer nods. "I understand, sir. Just please make sure not to speed from now on." He thinks for a moment. "Where was the accident?"

I tell him where and he nods. "Follow me, I'll escort you there."

I'm shocked that he offers, but I take it without hesitation. If he's willing to help me get to Y/N faster, that's all I care about. I need to see her. The information Dawson gave me wasn't enough. I know he's okay, but he doesn't know much about her, so neither do I.

We pull up on the scene and the officer with me, Sergeant Conway, goes to the other officers and EMTs to try to figure out if she's okay while I go straight to Dawson.

It turns out they've already taken her to the hospital, which makes me panic even more. Dawson barely knows anything, just that they left in a hurry. I feel like I'm in a daze, panicked because my wife is in the hospital and I don't know her—or the baby's—condition.

As I drive to the hospital, Dawson explains to me what happened. He was driving her back from her doctor's appointment, which he took her to because I had a meeting with Coach. I had just gotten home when he called me. He was going straight at a green light when a car ran the red light and ran into the passenger side of the car—where Y/N was sitting.

Dawson tells me he mainly thinks that they took her to the hospital to ensure the baby is alright. She's about halfway through her pregnancy, and we're panicked enough about being new parents as it is, but now this has happened. Not that I'm blaming her at all, I'm just panicked as hell and praying that she's alright.

"She's okay. She's gotta be." Dawson sounds like he's trying to reassure himself as much as he is me.

When we get to the hospital, one of the nurses updates us. Y/N and the baby are both okay, Y/N's just a little overwhelmed and anxious, and they're keeping her for the next 24 hours just to make sure that they're okay. I feel like I can finally breathe again. I was terrified of what I was going to hear when I got here.

The nurse finally lets me visit her, and I promise Dawson I'll give him time to see her later, since she is his sister after all.

Y/N is sitting up straight when I get to her room, and she immediately relaxes when she sees me. "Nic."