Paper Rings | Matt Boldy

#12, Left Wing for the Minnesota Wild
Word Count: 2.2 K

"The moon is high
Like your friends were the night that we first met
Went home and tried to stalk you on the internet
Now I've read all of the books beside your bed
The wine is cold
Like the shoulder that I gave you in the street
Cat and mouse for a month or two or three
Now I wake up in the night and watch you breathe"
- "Paper Rings," Taylor Swift

"Maaaaaaaatt."

"Yes, darling?" Matt pokes his head inside to look at me. He's outside cooking burgers for dinner.

"It's a full moon, isn't it?" I ask excitedly.

Matt laughs. "Yes. How'd I know you were gonna have a goofy question?" He asks teasingly and takes a step inside to give me a kiss. "I love you anyway, though."

"Well, I hope so." I huff dramatically. "You know what I love, though? Every time there's a full moon, I think of when we first met."

He smiles. "Sophomore year, some random hockey party at Boston College. My life has never been the same since. Not that I'm complaining."

"And look at us now. You, an NHL player, and me, a PWHL player."

He grins. "I'll thank Spencer Knight for the rest of my life for inviting the girls hockey team to our party that night." He hugs me. "I can't imagine what my life would be like without you."

"I literally went home that night and starting Googling all of your NTDP stats and everything." I laugh.

He chuckles. "You know, though, our kids are gonna be hella good hockey players." He says, amused. "If they want to be, that is. But they don't have to be. They can always do other stuff, too. I know at least one of them is gonna love to read like you do."

I'm about to say something else when I notice the grill smoking behind Matt. More than I think it should be. "Uh, Matt? The food?"

He turns around and his eyes go wide when he sees the burgers have caught fire. "Oh shit."

- - - - -

Five Years Ago

"Matt, dude, what the hell?" Spencer slaps Matt on the back of the head to get his attention. "You were in charge of the grill, and now everything's burned, dude."

"Oh, shit." Matt's fair skin heats, an adorable pink flush covering his skin. "I'll go buy some more stuff—"

Spence rolls his eyes. "It's fine. Just, next time, pay more attention, okay?"

Matt nods and watches as Spencer walks off, leaving just him and I. We met about an hour ago, but we've already hit it off. Matt's a little shy, but I think I'm bringing him out of his shell, little by little.

"So, you're our women's team's star goalie I've been hearing all about, huh?"

I shrug. "I'm okay. But yeah, I am the goalie. That's how Spence and I know each other, actually. We had the same goalie coach in high school, and we started hanging out. Haven't really been doing that since college started, but he's a great guy and an incredible goalie."

"He really is. I'll have to come catch one of your games sometime. I'd love to see you play."

"I'd like that, too."

- - - - -

"Kiss me once 'cause you know I had a long night
Kiss me twice 'cause it's gonna be alright
Three times 'cause I waited my whole life
I like shiny things, but I'd marry you with paper rings
Uh-huh, that's right
Darling, you're the one I want
I hate accidents, except when we went from friends to this
Uh-huh, that's right
Darling, you're the one I want
In paper rings, in picture frames, in dirty dreams
Oh, you're the one I want"