Chapter 14

I try to ignore their sight by walking right past them, however, Payal sees them and stops and encourages me to see them. They would be the last people I would want to see.. But how do I tell her? I nervously go up to them with a fake smile and fake cough to grab their attention. They turn around and Mum immediately hugs me. Why is she all emotional these days? Is she sick? Is she going to die? All these negative thoughts are in my head, and I need to talk to her to clear those thoughts.

Me - Mum, can I talk to you privately?

Mum nods and I immediately drag her to the side for a private conversation.

Me (worried) - Are you ill? Do you have some kind of disease?

Mum - No Khushi, why are you thinking of this beta? Are you okay?

Me (annoyed) - then why do you love me so much all of a sudden?

Mum looks at me with shock, realising she has been caught. She puts on her fake smile, that she thought I wouldn't notice and replies:

Mum - What do you mean, beta? I have always loved you...

Me (annoyed) - Mum, I know you very well. You have never once shown me you loved me then why all of a sudden? What's this new drama?

Mum is about to answer when Dad comes and drags her way while she mutters a quick bye to me. I have to get to the bottom of this. Payal comes towards me soon and looks at my worried face.

Payal (annoyed) - okay Khushi, tell me what is happening in your mind? Why are you worried? I have been ignoring this worried look for a while now and waiting for you to tell me... But now, I can't be patient.

Oh gosh, I need to control my facial expressions. Maybe, I can share one of my problems with her...

Me (upset) - I recently found out that Maya passed away and she was Arnav's ex.

Payal (shocked) - MAYA was Jiju's ex...

She looks at me with a shocked expression and stays in that expression for a bit longer than expected. I found that so funny for some reason, even though this was meant to be a serious conversation. She stares at me seeing me chuckling and then makes me sit down.

Payal (annoyed) - Khushi! This is serious business, don't laugh. Let me tell you about Maya. You know ever since you introduced me to Maya, I found her very strange. She was a sweet girl, but only in front of you and jiju behind your back... she was nowhere near sweet. She had all these bad habits of smoking and drinking which she soon stopped having. All of a sudden during our second year of college, she stopped all this and just changed herself 360 degrees. She was no longer the two-faced girl, instead was a sanskari girl who didn't have any bad habits. She stopped being rude, she stopped smoking and drinking instead actually became the girl she was when she hung out with you and jiju.

Me (shocked) - Why didn't you tell me all this? How did you know that she wasn't the girl that she showed herself to be?

Payal - I tried to tell you Khushi, but I got scared as you had so much trust in her. You hung out with her so much that I thought if I told you then you wouldn't want to be friends with me or you wouldn't trust me and I didn't want to lose you. Everyone on the campus saw how she was when she wasn't with you guys. Personally, I wasn't scared of her but most people on campus were. You know after 2nd year, she started being sanskari, however, in 3rd year she became dangerous. She didn't like you, Khushi. She tried to spread rumours about you, however, no one believed her... You know, this makes so much sense now. She wanted to hurt you, because she was maybe jealous of you. The relationship you and jiju had and have was so special that no one ever thought you were dating Shyam... everyone thought that you dated jiju. I bet she felt shadowed by you which made her change.

Me (shocked) - No Payal, I think I get what happened... She changed after 2nd year because Arnav finally asked her out. She stopped her bad habits and everything because she realised that Arnav preferred a girl like me... so she tried to be me... but she couldn't so she tried to tarnish my reputation so Arnav would lose my attachment to me, and she would be his number one priority. If only she had told me how she felt I, myself, would have limited my interaction with Arnav to not make her insecure. Also, Payal, I am sorry for neglecting you in college... You have been my number-one friend ever since I was a child. I have trust in you more than anyone... never feel that I will stop being friends with you. You are my jaan... I want to be able to see your grandchildren and pamper them...

I get up and hug her immediately while she smiles with tears. How could I make Payal even feel this way? I am glad she told me...I am glad I opened up about one of my problems with her.

Payal wipes her tears and than stares at me with a smile.

Payal - Let's get you clothes for my wedding celebrations.

I smile and walk with her while laughing and teasing her. This feels so good. I am so glad I came with her. Suddenly, we stop on our track, as we notice a red saree.

Payal - Khushi, this saree will look so good on you... Get it...

We walk inside the store and take the saree to the dressing room for me to try in. 

Payal - OMG, Khushi you look so pretty

I checked the price tag and noticed that it's a bit over the budget that I set for myself, however, it will be worth it.

I immediately agree to the saree, and we both go over to pay. I use the card provided by my parents to pay when it gets declined.

Although this card is owned by my parents, the income inside of it is mine. This card has all the salary I got from working my internship last year. I haven't even used it a lot, so why has this declined? I am about to return the saree when Payal sees Arnav's card in my purse.

Payal - Sankadevi, there is another card in there... Use it.

How do I tell her, I don't have the nerve to use the card... I don't deserve to use this card. Even though I am mad at him, I wouldn't want to use his card for payments that are for me. Why use his hard-earned money? 

Seeing Payal nudge me and seeing the people behind me, I unwillingly use the card. I will Pay Arnav back...

After 4 hours

Thankfully, I didn't use too much of Arnav's money as I had cash.

Payal (tired) - Too much shopping and gossip for today, it's nearly 9 we should head home.

I was about to call the driver to take us when a car stopped in front of us. I stare in shock, as Arnav comes out of the car and greets us.

Arnav (smiling) - Ma and papa told me you guys were still out shopping so thought to pick you both up.

Payal - that's so sweet jiju.

Payal gives a warm smile to Arnav then sits at the back, while Arnav opens the door for me. Is he acting in front of Payal? He doesn't even have to...

The car ride to Payal's home was fun with everyone laughing and smiling, however, as soon as Payal left the car ride was silent. He tried to start a conversation, however, I didn't respond as I was in deep thought... should I tell him what Payal told me about Maya? Will he trust me? I doubt he will but if he finds out later than I knew then more misunderstandings will occur. What should I do? Soon, I was jerked from my thoughts by Arnav who instead of taking me to Raizada's house, took me to my parent's home...

Arnav - It's time to sort out some misunderstandings.