Chapter 4

I opened my eyes, to be greeted by darkness and some whispers that I can audibly hear and can even recognise the voice.

Mum (crying) - what happened to our daughter?...

Dad (annoyed) - Why do you care, Garima? This girl was a mistake anyway... we never wanted children... and if we ever got a child... I told you before that it had to be a male... but we got her... and you couldn't give birth again... due to complications during pregnancy... let her die... why care about her now?

Mum (angry) - Shashiji... how can you say this? Yes... I agree that Khushi was a mistake... and yes, I agree that I never wanted her... nor cared for her... but I am not a cruel mother to want her to die... she is after all our child...

Dad (annoyed) - Shut up! If she wasn't born then this situation would have never arrived... Arnav wouldn't be mad... at me... it's all this girl's and Maya's fault...

Mum (annoyed) - Shashiji, remember, if it weren't for Khushi then the marriage would have never occurred and Arnav would have never saved your business ... we should be thankful for her...

Dad stomps away not wanting to argue with Mum while mum silently weeps. I want to comfort her, but I am not able to move. I try my hardest to move an inch, but I feel severe pain. I feel someone shaking me, but no matter how much I try, I am not able to move or speak up. I suddenly hear a voice calling out to me, telling me to come back and that voice holds some sort of strong emotion... but I am not able to figure out what it was or who it was. However, hearing the deep voice, and those strong emotions, I feel some sort of energy in me and I am able to finally open my eyes. As my blurry vision starts to get clearer, I see someone holding my hand, calling out to me.

Arnav (upset) - Kh...Khushi... please come back...

I try to move my hand a little to indicate to him that I am back and feeling my hand moving, Arnav immediately starts to smile and screams for the doctor. What happened? Why is he so happy to see me alive? Wasn't he the one that was rude to me? What's with the sudden care? Again, I was filled with so many questions and in return, I got no answers. Soon, the doctor came rushing in and did a check-up on me. After I don't know how long, the doctor finishes checking me up and then looks at me with a smile.

Doctor - how do you feel Mrs Raizada?

Me (smiling but unsure) - I am feeling fine... why what happened?

Doctor (worried) - you have been in a coma for a month. After your fall from the stairs, your husband and his family came to the hospital with you, and you had lost lots of blood ... which led you to go into a coma... (smiling)... now that you are back... you will be able to go within a week after we do some check-ups... I will leave you with your husband now...

The doctor leaves, while I stare at my husband with a blank face. One month... I have been in a coma... meaning, one month I have been unconscious... I wonder what has changed, within the month. Soon, Arnav comes near me once again and sits in his old position. Both of his hands were holding my one hand.

Me (confused) - What...what is happening?

Arnav opens his mouth to answer when both Ratna ma and Arvind papa walk in and immediately give me a hug. The warmth that I felt from them, made me feel secure, my parents never gave me a hug and if they did it was in front of the media, and therefore, I had no clue what it feels like to have parents hug you.

Ratna ma (upset) - Khushi beta... are you okay? What am I saying, of course, you aren't okay... look at...

Ratna ma continues to rant about my health, and I unwillingly cry seeing the love and attention that I am getting from that. I wanted this love and attention from my parents, but I got only neglect. Seeing me crying, Ratna ma looks at me shocked.

Ratna ma (worried) - Is it hurting? I am so sorry... where does it hurt?

Arvind papa (worried) - She can only answer if you only stop talking... (Ratna ma glares at him making Arvind papa shiver a little)... now Khushi beta... tell us...

Me (upset) - just seeing your love and care for me... made me a little emotional...

Ratna ma (confused) - didn't Garima and Shashi also shower you with that much love?

No, in fact, they want me to die...

Me (fake smiling) - yes, but this one is different...

Ratna ma and Arvind papa start pampering me, while I smile seeing so much love for me. Meanwhile, Arnav leaves the room, without answering any of my questions. After some time, he comes back to the doctor who injected me with some medication causing me to feel sleepy. When I finally open my eyes, I find myself in the same position as I did when I first got conscious. He was holding one of my hands in his and was sleeping in a seated position. I could hear him faintly asking for Maya. Suddenly he starts sweating, and his calls for Maya get louder, feeling worried for him, I move my arm a little to tap him to wake up and feeling my movement he wakes up immediately with heavy breathing. I move my head around to search for water and I try to get up to get it to him. However, to my bad luck, I start to feel pain in my body as soon as I try to move. Arnav who senses this pain gets the water and offers it to me.

Me - it's for you...

He stares at me with shock but drinks the water without any hesitation. After a few seconds, I decide to break the ice and ask him the reason behind the changed behaviour.

Precap - Angry Arnav and shocked Guptas

Please vote and let me know your views on this story

PS: Not edited, so ignore all grammar and spelling errors.