Chapter Thirty - Shown Off

Kenna nestled herself in the corner of the cart. She was trying to make herself as small as possible. She was acutely aware of her friend's eyes on her. Armin and Marco had joined Kenna on her cart.

"Come on, Kenna," Armin said as he tried to get something out of her. "You've barely said anything for two weeks."

"Just drop it," Kenna said.

"I'm sorry, Kenna," Marco said. "You can be mad at me all you want, but don't take it out on the others."

Kenna didn't say anything to either of them. She just looked to the scenery that was passing them by. It was golden as the rays of the rising sun shone on them.

"You can't not talk to us forever, Kenna," Marco tried to bargain with her. "Please, Kenna. Just say something."

"We want to find a way to get back to normal, Kenna," Armin said. "It's the not same when you're like this. You've been hiding away in the girl's cabin every free moment you get. We miss you, Kenna."

"Just let me be alone," Kenna said. Her eyes didn't leave the landscape.

"You're our friend, Kenna," Armin said. "We're not going to let you retreat into yourself like this."

"Why can't you guys just leave me alone?" Kenna asked.

"It's like Armin said, you're our friend," Marco said. "Can you please look at me, Kenna?" Kenna obliged his offer. Kenna could see the sincerity in his eyes. "I shouldn't of tried to force you and Reiner together, and I definitely shouldn't have asked Jean, Connie, and Sasha to help me. It was a betrayal of your trust and a complete lack of respect for you and your autonomy. I am so sorry. I hope that you can accept my apology."

Kenna bit the inside of her cheek. She didn't like that she had basically emotionally shut down. She missed her friends. Kenna offered a small smile to her friends.

"With that heartfelt apology, how can I not?" Kenna said. "Can you just promise me that you'll never do it again, Marco?"

"You have my word as a soldier," Marco said.

"That's good enough for me," Kenna said.

"Does that mean you're going to stop hiding in the girl's cabin?" Armin asked.

"Absolutely not," Kenna shook her head. "There's no way I can face Reiner, and Reiner is always with the group."

"By the walls, Kenna," Armin said. "You can't avoid him forever."

"I disagree," Kenna said.

Armin and Marco didn't have time to argue with her. Shadis was yelling at the cadets telling them to be on their best behavior. The Wall Rose had come into view. Kenna could see the gate in the distance. They were almost in Trost.

When they entered the city, they were taken to the headquarters. They unloaded from the carts. The Cadets left their personal items in the carts. They had been informed that the bags would be taken to rooms in headquarters. All they were doing was waiting for Shadis's orders.

"FORM RANKS!" Everyone sprung into the uniformed lines that had been drilled into their heads. "All right, you maggots," Shadis yelled at them as he walked down the line. "We're going to be here for one week. Today, the military officers who are in Trost will be coming to see how you miserable Cadets are coming along. You will speak when spoken to and do what is asked of you. They are supposed to be arriving any moment now. Show them what I have been teaching you and try not to embarrass me or yourselves by your showing!"

"THEY ARE COMING SIR!" one of the other adults alerted Shadis.

The doors opened and several military officers walked in. Kenna could see the Garrison's rose's and the MP's horse and sword's. There were no Wings of Freedom. Kenna guessed that the Scouts were out on mission. Kenna held back a smile as she saw her uncle walk into the courtyard. She was happy that she would be able to show off what she had learn to her uncle.