Chapter Seven - Party

Kenna stood in front of the mirror as Miss Mary put some pins in her hairs. Kenna didn't recognize the girl in the mirror in front of her. The girl in front of her was a stranger in fine clothes and slicked back hair. The only give away that it was actually Kenna in the mirror was the miserable look in her eyes. She absolutely hated how her uncle had made her present herself. Kenna wasn't without manners or common sense. She had the ability to dress herself in a presentable fashion. She reached up towards the collar of her dress.

"No scratching," Miss Mary said.

"Why does it matter?" Kenna asked as she watched Miss Mary place the last few pins in her hair.

"Because people will be able to tell if you've been scratching at your neck," Miss Mary said as she tucked one last stray hair behind Kenna's hair. "There. You're all ready. Now, head down to your uncle."

"Yes, Miss Mary," Kenna said as she got off the chair and headed to the downstairs.

Kenna felt her stomach twist and turn as she headed down the stairs. The collar of the shirt her uncle had picked out for her was stiff and scratchy. The grey shirt and matching vest seemed to be made of the most uncomfortable fabric possible. Not only were her clothes uncomfortable, but her mood was soured. She didn't to celebrate her birthday at all, but her uncle refused to listen to her. Now, her birthday was being used as a social networking opportunity. As she got to the bottom of the stairs, her uncle was waiting for her. The people her uncle had hired were scurrying around.

"Just in time," her uncle said as he looked at his pocket watch. "Our guests will be arriving soon. It's our responsibility as hosts to greet everyone of them."

"I know how to be a good host," Kenna grumbled. "My parents made sure that I was raised with manners."

"Get yourself out of that bad mood," her uncle said as they walked to the front door. "It's not proper of a lady hosting a party."

Kenna gritted her teeth before forcing herself to smile, "Is this better, Uncle Karl?" She made sure that her voice was perfectly pleasant.

"Much," Uncle Karl said. The sounds of wheels turning and horses neighing filled their ears. "Looks like our guests are arriving."

Kenna was absolutely overwhelmed as the night drug on. Her uncle introduced to her so many people that all the names and faces were starting to run together. There seemed to be a lot of middle to high ranking members of the Garrison. People who were more middle ranking members of the Garrison seemed to jump at the chance to talk to Kenna. Kenna could hear the false pleasantries in their voices. It was clear that they were only talking to her to try and gain favor with her uncle.

Kenna managed to sneak away and stand in a less busy corner of the room. It seemed crazy to Kenna how many people had managed to come out to her party. Kenna took a sip of her water and tried to keep herself together. She just wanted to go into her room and curl into a ball.

"You look like you want to be anywhere else but here, Young Miss," an old voice came from the side.

Kenna looked to her right. Her eyes widened when she realized who had just walked up to her.

"Commander Pixis," Kenna stood up a little bit straighter. "I just want to thank you again for coming to this party."

"Not your party?" Commander Pixis said with a raised eyebrow. "I thought this was suppose to be your special day."

"It's a hard day to celebrate," Kenna said with a strained smile.

"I imagine," Commander Pixis said. "I want to extend my condolences about the lost of your family. Your father was one of the best minds in our military."