Chapter Eleven - ODM Gear

"Omni-directional mobility or ODM gear is your life line when you are in combat!" Shadis yelled at them. Kenna stood up just a little bit straighter as Shadis passed by her. "If you are unable to master ODM gear, the only thing you are fit for is to be a Titan's dinner! If any of you are unable to master the ODM gear, you will be carted off to the fields! We have no room for any cadet unable to master this most basic skill!" Shadis stopped and looked at them. "I have you arranged in lines, step up and get hooked up to the machine. You will get cranked up and we will begin to assess your ability!"

Kenna watched the line in front of her. Everyone showed different levels of mastery but were able to keep themselves up right. Before Kenna knew it, it was her turn to try her hand at the ODM gear.

Kenna let out a breath as she stepped forward to be attached to the crank. Kenna made sure everything was connected before the person behind her started to turn the crank. The second that Kenna's feet left the ground, she felt a bit unsteady. She fell forward but quickly corrected her weight to fall more back. She then felt her body shift to the left, so she corrected to stay more towards the right. After another moment of uncertainty, Kenna felt perfectly comfortable and up right. Kenna kept a straight face and didn't have any other stumbles.

"And now crank, Dressler down!" Shadis ordered the cadet behind her. Kenna's feet touched the ground and Shadis walked up to her. "Where did you learn skills like that, Dressler?"

"My brother and father managed to show me the basics, sir." Kenna explained as she saluted.

Shadis didn't say anything as he walked away. Kenna unhooked herself from the machine and headed off to the watch area. There were ten machines all lined up. There was about ten to twelve people in each line. Everyone was moving through the line pretty quickly. Kenna's eye went down the line to see if she knew any of them. She winced as she saw Eren fall straight on his head. Kenna had had enough falls to know that that didn't feel good. Eren looked so embarrassed, shocked, and angry at himself that Kenna didn't want to get within ten meters of him. She had no doubt that Eren would be cursing himself up and down while trying to figure out what he was doing wrong. Kenna also knew that basically everyone would be giving Eren no help at all considering how big he was talking the other day. Luckily, he had Mikasa and Armin on his side. They would be more than willing to help him.

After everyone had finished their turn with the ODM gear, they were all hustled away to their next task. Shadis had them running laps around the training area. Kenna turned off her brain as she ran. All that mattered to Kenna was that she wouldn't stop. She wondered how long it would be until they were running with giant packs and weapons. Mixed between the running were different obstacle courses. Most of them just tested how well they could climb or balance themselves. Either way, it was nothing Kenna couldn't handle.

Shadis let them run until the sun started to go down.

After they were dismissed, Kenna headed to the showers. She didn't have long, but she took just a second to enjoy the water streaming over her head. Then, Kenna quickly washed herself off. Kenna went back to the girls' barracks to get her clothes and sketchbook. After that, it was time for dinner. Kenna quickly scarfed down her food. Today's training had exhausted her. Kenna had no doubt that this would become her new normal.

After all her food was gone, Kenna opened her sketchbook and started to draw out a hydroponic system. Kenna bit the inside of her lip as she drew. It seemed like she had been drawing these systems for almost a year, and she had drawn out every variation of her father's designs and had come up with her own. Maybe it was time that she figured out something new to design.

"Kenna, you need to help me," Eren said.

Kenna looked up and saw a disgruntled Eren Jeager sitting in front of her. Armin and Mikasa were nowhere close to him.