Pt13. A Bitter Heart

"You can't go back out there!"

You sling your pack over your shoulder, your expression solemn and stiff. The door beckons you out, your mind and heart made up.

"(Y/n) please don't do this. Don't end up like me."

You look back for a moment, a quiet sadness in your eyes. "Dad, just because you couldn't do it doesn't mean I'm happy living like this. I'm sick of hiding and I'm sick of losing everything that's ours."

He rolls his wheelchair forward reaching a hand out to yours. "You can get out of here, you can get away from all of this pain and struggling but I just need you to be patient with me while I get everything together-"

You pull your hand away. "I'm not just some wallflower waiting for some hero to come along and save me. If anything's going to change I need to get stronger. The best warriors in history that didn't rely on magic or crazy powers all came from there. I'm going. Bye, dad... Sorry that I'm still disappointing you."

"(Y/n) I..." You run out of the house before he can respond. You knew he had come outside, you could feel his gaze on you as you crossed the horizon... But this time you swore you wouldn't look back. You wouldn't let him talk you out of it. Eggman took your home, your food, your money, your entire way of life. Your father gave up everything just to make end's meet and when he tried to resist the doctor took his legs too. It never slowed Dad down but you still couldn't forgive Eggman for that. You would never forgive him for that...

______

A scorched circle remained where you once stood, a weight holding you down as your consciousness shifts back to reality. You look down, your eyes meeting Tails'. "Hey! C'mon get up!"

You clamber up, your gaze zeroing in on Eggman. You could feel your blood coming to a boil as everything you had ever repressed or ignored started oozing to the surface.

Tails looks at you expectantly, "You need to get out of here! We can get Knuckles back so just go!" He grabs your arm and tugs. You look over to him with fire in your eyes, optically tracing over his body as you do. His lower half was charred, the fur burned substantially and blackened up to his chest. His once vibrant eyes were now glossy and panicked as he tugged on you.

You grip his arm forcefully and push, causing him to topple backwards. "You're all too weak to do anything, fox. Run away with your tails between your legs, I'm taking care of this." You spew venom in your words, a rage of endless depth forming in your chest. The second time around the regret you contemplated had swiftly turned to anger...
Playing nice with these posers.. Lying to countless mobians and stealing from people everywhere... Hacking into systems that would cripple major organizations in the clutches of Eggman... Throwing away your chance at a normal life for rigorous training and secrecy... Leaving your old life behind and refusing to ever look back on anyone or anything... And it was all his fault...
You look back to the mech, "You never could understand why I joined you could you, doctor? Even a genius can still be clueless I guess... Truthfully, the island where you manuf-"

A laugh comes from the mech and cuts you off, Eggman amused at the sudden explanation, "As fun as this sounds I think I'll just flambe you instead! Dead men tell no tales!" He takes aim at you again, the cannon charging up.

You burst off the ground in a sprint on all fours. Eggman can't react as you close the distance in the blink of an eye. "Don't interrupt me." You scurry up the mech's arm, looking into the clear dome. Eggman's face is faintly visible inside with a cocky smile. "-where you manufactured fluids for your machines-"