Pt12. Homecoming Part:3

A full week has passed, your fur a little better looking now that you bothered to use the comb Tails gave you. Something seemed off, the usual 40 minute rotations not on time as they had been leading up to now. You check the treeline scanning with your eyes for movements or colors that stood out.

An explosion rang out in the distance, the ground shaking beneath your feet. Stacks of smoke bellowed in the distance, the faint sounds of screams carrying on the wind. You grit your teeth, looking around in a futile effort to find anything you could've missed. The comb flashed with a small red light, the handle popping out a tiny button. You squint at it pensively, what could go wrong right? I'll either stay stuck here and get caught up in the attack or I get free. You press the button, the cage blinking for a second before disengaging and retracting into a ball.

The fox gave me a means of getting out-?
You walk over to the ball and pick it up, Tails' logo plastered on the face of it. You smirk a little, That fox is almost as smart as the doctor isn't he... It sucked that you lost the chaos emerald but if the heroes were distracted now would be the time to flee back to Eggman. Where was your stuff though? It's not like you could leave without at least what you had recovered, the doctor cared for the research and not your life. Your expression hardens as you run toward the chaos, hoping to find a few heroes in the heat of battle with some answers...

. . .

You burst through the trees, a small village set fully ablaze similar to the last one you saw Amy in but the mushrooms here were different and more arid. There were several badniks burrowing underground and swooping through the air lighting it all on fire. You see Amy rushing into battle, crushing as many moles as she could while Knuckles took to the sky and assaulted the bird-bots lighting everything up. You sneak around them quietly, preferring not to get pulled into a confrontation. This was your battlefield, stealth and espionage. You roll behind a building and stay out of line of sight of the heroes. You approach a mole-bot and tap on it's back.

"Doctor, do you copy?" It spins around and jumps out at you, it's drill whirring loudly. You dodge to the side and grab it's tail end before spinning it around and holding it's head tightly. Looking it over it didn't seem to be a model that was too advanced all things considered. No eyes, no ears.. Does it use some kind of sonar to 'see' where it's going? The doctor's plan was probably to overwhelm the heroes while he did something shady in the background, but what? Unless he was coming for the star post research himself! It had been too long without contact, he probably thought that you had failed or fled...
I'll show you, Doctor...

You still weren't sure where you were, but taking too long could mean that he'd get what he wanted and retreat. You tisk your tongue and throw the mole-bot down as you stomp it's head under your shoe. Confusion would be your greatest ally- you rush toward the battle jumping and flipping as you gain momentum propelling yourself into the air grabbing a bird-bot with a spin. It starts spewing fire as you land making it easy to take down several more birds, roasting them in the high heat. You rush forward as you slam the bird-bot into the ground and it burns itself in a blast of fire.

You run beside Amy and kick away incoming mole-bots drilling out of the ground at her. She looks at you in shock, "What are you doing out-!?"

A bird-bot swoops down behind her, you grip her wrist and pull her toward you while spinning forward in a reversal. Your foot impacts the underside of the robot causing it to spiral upward before exploding. "Time and place, ask when we're not under attack."

She pulls her hand back, "Wait so you're on our side now-?" Two more moles pop out of the ground, both of you slamming them back down forcefully and crushing their heads beneath your feet.