Pt4. Spicy Sweet

After walking for a few minutes in silence the group finally comes across a path, Sonic turning left down the road toward a collection of lights dimly lit in the distance. "We're almost there! Feeling excited yet?" You stare at him in silence, recounting the beating he gave you not that long ago. "Huh, not feeling very chatty? That's cool. Say Tails, didja see that new tech junky place that opened up yet? I think some lady named Nicole runs it, seems like it'd be right up your alley."

Tails' ears flick, the mention of technology immediately grabbing his attention. "Yeah I did! There was this really cool kinetic transponder! I'm pretty sure she makes her own gadgets and sells them since I've NEVER seen that kind of tech outside of a lab let alone being sold someplace!" His face wore a proud and excited grin. Your eyes wander to his, looking over his features as you trace over this never before seen excitement. Sad, this was the first look at a genuine showing of any of their feelings since they captured you. Technology is cool, and the countless number of times you'd try to figure out how Eggman built his devices was... Well you had tried many, many times to no avail.

"I was actually gonna stop by there tomorrow to pick up some materials-" Tails gestures with his hand, a hologram being projected from his glove. From what you could make out it seems like some kind of- Car? Buggy maybe? The blueprint was too complicated to make any sense at a glance, maybe even several glances. "I'm hoping to find some components I can repurpose to make a Quadratic Fusion Engine!"

Sonic chuckles to himself and walks backward as to look at the twin tailed fox, "I have absolutely no idea what that means but it sound way cool! I understood the Quad and Engine but-" A toothy grin stretches across his face, an innocent shrug all that he was able to give as a means of approval.

"Quadratic meaning four-" You cut in, looking at Sonic with a unimpressed half mast stare, "-Fusion meaning combining or mixing, and Engine. It's either making an engine that has four smaller engines running it or an engine that can run off of four different types of fuel." You side eye Tails.

Tails pouted surprised, his brows raising as he looks over at you. "You're- half right-! It's both! An assembly that can use combustion, steam, electric and kinetic momentum. I'm building all the parts individually but once I get them made it should be easy to combine their outputs together! It's a long time project I've been wanting to finish!" He looks at you with bright eyes, practically hopping along the path as he speaks.

You tisk your tongue, looking away from him. "Not very wise of you sharing that with an enemy, fox. I thought you were the smart one."

Tails chuckled, a smug grin creeping onto his face, "Anyone can think of any ol' concept. I know that it would take a real wizard to actually begin to understand the complex mechanics of building something like that." He clears his throat, making sure to say the next bit nice and clearly, "If Eggman was capable of making something like this he would've a long time ago!~" Both Sonic and Tails laughed out loud at the sentiment. You probably should've felt picked on or obligated to say something mean but instead of their laughter feeling mocking it was just... Genuine.

You cross your arms, looking daggers at either of them but unable to think of anything to say. Even after almost dying a little while ago they're still able to laugh this genuinely? No, maybe that was why they could. You had plenty of close calls already, the GUN agents, ancient traps in lost temples, poisonous plants in deep rain forests... After skating the line for long enough you learned that to let your guard down is to roll over and invite something to tear you apart.

These fools would learn that lesson...

The trek continued on, Sonic and Tails making the remainder of the conversation as you made your way into town. It was late but there were still a few buildings with their lights on. An intoxicating aroma drifts into your nostrils.. Fresh butter, a spicy chili sauce with peppers and freshly chopped onions... Topped with- Mustard? Ketchup? Barbecue-? There were so many different scents mixing together, too many for you to place individually.