Pt8. Whispers of the Heart

I need to find a relay, surely there was one hidden nearby...

...stupid fox...

A left through the cave maybe?

...Stupid Fox...

It ended up spitting me out near the beach? Maybe try doubling back-?

... STUPID FOX..!

You trail along the beach hopelessly trying to rationalize and think like the doctor, looking at angles of the waterfalls and where they fell. Nothing. Maybe if you traced the skyline across where it lined up with trees or hills? No.. That's not lining up.

'Sorry that someone couldn't be there'... I don't need anyone to pity me...

You trace your pace back inland, climbing up a small cliff and looking out at the land once more. The valley was oddly vast for being on an island, the highs and lows of the landscape making this a multi-layered dungeon instead of a simple survey of the land. The paths and trails seemed to connect to key points to traverse the island, various bridges visible behind waterfalls and over deep gaps. If memory served this was where the trouble with Eggman and Sonic began. After all of this time it was hard to imagine how neither of them had killed the other yet, accident or not. You sit down on the cliff side, the gentle breeze caressing your body while your fur danced softly in the wind.

The doctor has no reason to throw me away... I failed to distract Sonic and his friends but if I did I would've died with them...

You shake your head hoping to let the thought fly away on the wind. It was already hard enough trying to keep your own spirits up sleeping in nature uncomfortably or in some industrial complex surrounded by a bunch of killer robots. The doctor was never the type to do charity, and since he was allowing you to rest at his facilities when you pleased surely that meant you hadn't done anything that would warrant him trying to kill you. If he wanted he could attack in the night- But he's smart, too smart to attack a master that learned stealth and combat from the Dragon Kingdom. It could be too much work to outright surprise attack though- maybe that's why he...

No! The doctor wasn't trying to kill you, there was no reason... You would've be collateral damage but his goal also would have been achieved- So... That means he thinks sacrificing your life is worth the lives' of his enemies. You had value. You had to... Metal balls rattle in your pouch and fill the air with a weak humming sound. The smoke bombs-? You throw the pouch off the cliff swiftly, several of your bombs going off into a large poof. A remote detonation? No, it was too delayed.. A field of some kind maybe? But then why didn't it trigger immediately? Perhaps certain conditions needed to be met. You pat the ground suspiciously, a quiet apprehension in your eyes as you scan for anything that stood out. But the soil seemed normal. Something on your belt? You feel the backside but there's nothing.. Odd... You start sliding your pouches off the belt to inspect them individually.

Bingo, there seemed to be small chips on the backside of all of them. Eggman's logo was small on the corner of every piece, a transmitter of some kind, or at least it could send signal to mechanical devices. You could probably contact the doctor with these if you could just boost the signal. It didn't explain the sudden activation but it was a start to-

"Pretty uncool of you scaring Tails like that." Sonic stands behind you with his arms crossed, an un-amused glint in his eye as he looked down at you.

You scoff, returning the expression. "The hero's arrived, wonderful." You stand up and cross your arms. "I warned you about sharing space with an enemy. Your friend should have watched his mouth when talking to me."