Chapter Six: Call me Rufio

Rufio's P.O.V.
I literally had mixed emotions running through me right then. Fear that I would not succeed, anger for how he would even think of not allowing me to stay here, determination to prove my self, and happiness that he had given me a chance.
I stood up, with my hand placed gingerly over my neck. It hurt, but I was used to pain. I noticed that the first boy was still here, staring at me. I looked over at him.
"I'm surprised you still wanted to stay here, even after that." He said to me.
"Oh, well, I guess it doesn't bother me. I'm used to it anyways."
He nodded. I took off his cloak and handed it to him.
"So, um, what do I do now?"
"Well, I could introduce you to the boys."
"Okay." I said, looking down at my hands and picking at my nails.
"Don't worry." He said smirking. I looked back up at him. "The boys are usually friendly to newcomers, and your a girl, I suspect that they'll be extra friendly to you." He gave me a wink and started walking towards the clearing with me trailing behind him.
"Boys!" He said in a monotone yell. The boys stopped at their party and looked at him then to me, shocked and confused expressions showing in their faces.
He turned to me. "What's your name?"
"Call me Rufio."
He smirked and turned back to the boys.
"Boys, this is Rufio. This girl is our guest. She'll be here for a week."
Shocked expressions turned into smirks and grins. One of the boys pushed his way from the back of the crowd and pulled off a mask of animal fur, revealing brown hair cut raggedly at ear length, rosy freckled cheeks and brown eyes.
He picked up my hand and kissed it. I saw the blond raise an eyebrow and smirk.
"My name's Devin." He told me.
"Nice to meet you, Devin." I said smiling.
A few other boys walked up to me, introducing themselves. There was Thomas, Slightly, Curly, Dean, Blade, Nibs, Beau, and Tootles. There was also a set of twins, Patch and Prentiss.
Curly had snuck a kiss on my cheek and laughed at my shocked expression.
I watched as they all went back to their party.
I looked over at the blond.
"I never did get your name. What is it?"
He smirked and readjusted his grip on the dagger that stuck out from under his cloak.
"Felix."
I smiled and he gave a chuckle and a smirk.
"And what about the other boy?"
"Did I forget to introduce myself?" I heard a familiar voice ask from behind me. I turned to face him.
"I'm Peter, Peter Pan."
I smiled at this too.
"Now, why don't you join the boys. They are having a party and would more than likely enjoy your company." He said smirking. I nodded, turning to the part of the clearing where the boys were dancing around a bonfire. Taking a deep breath, I walked forward and joined them.
They all seemed to be having a lot of fun dancing around and using their instruments to make music.
I sat down on a log, placing my hands in my lap and smiling as one of them jumped over the fire. He looked up at me and pulled off his mask. I recognized this boy as Devin.
"Why aren't you up here having fun?" He asked as he walked up to me.
"Oh, um, I've never danced at a party before." I answered shyly. He smirked.
"I'll show you."
Before I could protest he grabbed my hand and dragged me over to the center of the clearing with the other boys.
"We dance different from other people. We just have fun doing it, and there's no rules or instructions." He explained.
"Okay." I replied nodding.
He smirked and gripped my hand tighter and spun me around while quickly walking backwards, causing me to move along with him. He started to hop back and forth, while circling the fire with the other boys, my hand still in his. I giggled excitedly when he spun me around and I started to jump around like him and the boys. This was barely anything but it was the most fun I've ever had. One of the boys, Curly, grabbed Devin's shoulder, causing us to stop.
"That's not how you dance with a girl Devin." He grabbed my hand and I let go of Devin's.
"You do it like this." He placed my hand on his shoulder and his on my waist, keeping my other hand in his. He began to do the best he could at a waltz. But I was worse. I kept tripping over my own feet and occasionally stepping on Curly's but he just laughed.
"You're doing a terrible job Curly!" I heard another one of the boys exclaim. I turned my head spotting Thomas coming our way.
"Like you could do better." Curly replied rolling his eyes. Thomas paused then grabbed my hand.
"I could."
"Prove it."
"That's what I'm doin' ain't I?"
"You aren't even dancing dimwit!" Curly said. Thomas frowned but then pulled me closer, starting to move his feet around and I tried to follow, but I had no idea what he was doing.
"That's not even a dance!" Curly yelled laughing his head off. Even in just the firelight, I could tell Thomas was blushing.
"That's okay." I said pulling my hands out of his and smiling. "I think I've danced enough." I turned and walked back to the log, sitting down on it once again.
A few minutes later, I saw Felix and Peter walk into the clearing. Peter walked straight over to me while Felix sat on the opposite side of the fire than us.
"Alright Rufio, how about a lullaby?"
"A lullaby? Excuse me for saying so but I think I'm much too old for someone to sing me to sleep." I said smiling. He smirked and raised an eyebrow at my response.
"I'm not going to sing you to sleep. I'm just going to play my flute."
"Oh." I laughed. "Then I suppose this lullaby would be nice to hear."
He smirked and stood up, pulling out his pan flute.
He began to blow into it, eyeing me as he did. A beautiful melody escaped from it, and the lost boys broke out in grins, dancing even more wildly than before. I grinned and Peter seemed to be holding back a frown as he continued to play.
My thoughts drifted to how I was going to prove to Peter that I was worthy to be here on this island. and what exactly did Peter want me to do to prove myself?